An easy homemade seitan that is a terrific meat substitute for plant-based recipes. Seasoned with common herbs and spices for a savory versatile flavor.
- 1 ¾ c. Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 ¾ c. water
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. red pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 6 c. water
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1 T. olive oil
- Measure and combine the vital wheat gluten and the spices in a large bowl. Add the majority of the water and stir to combine. If it appears dry, add more of the water. Stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Move to a dry surface and knead briefly and shape into your desired form.
- Cut the seitan into thin strips, cubes, or larger chunks depending on your recipe needs.
- In a large deep pan, bring all the broth ingredients to a low simmer over med/high heat until the brown sugar and bouillon are dissolved.
- Carefully add your seitan to the broth. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid, leaving lid slightly ajar for ventilation.
- Cook for 1 hour, monitoring and stirring when needed, to avoid sticking. The seitan will expand drastically, so keep a close eye.
- After an hour, remove the seitan from the pan and place into a large colander. Using a plate or large spatula, squeeze excess water from the seitan using moderate pressure.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen for later use for up to 6 months. Enjoy!
Keywords: Seitan, Homemade, Vegan, Plant-based Protein