A salty and savory plant-based Spanish paella full of fresh vegetables and flaky banana blossoms. An extremely satisfying meal even without the traditional seafood and one that EVERYONE will love!
4 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 cups Bomba Rice
1 17 oz Can Banana Blossoms (Drained and Rinsed)
1 15 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Red Bell Pepper (Seeds Removed, Dice ¾ of the pepper and cut the rest into strips)
1 Orange Bell Pepper (Seeds Removed, Dice ¾ of the pepper and cut the rest into strips)
1 Yellow Bell Pepper (Seeds Removed, Dice ¾ of the pepper and cut the rest into strips)
1 Cup Peas
1 Small Handful Green Beans (Ends Trimmed and Cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 tsp Ground Coriander
½ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Nori Sheet (Crushed- optional)
2 Tbsp Capers
2 Large Garlic Cloves (Minced)
3 Small Shallots (Sliced)
1 Lemon (Cut into Wedge)
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley (Garnish)
- Wash and prepare all fresh vegetables.
- In a sauce pan over medium/high heat, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. Turn off the heat and add the saffron and nori, allow to sit until needed.
- In a large deep skillet over medium/high heat, cook the garlic and shallot with 2 Tbsp of oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced peppers and chopped green beans to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the crushed tomatoes and dry spices to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the rice to the mixture followed by the banana blossoms, capers, and peas. Stir to combine.
- Pour the warm vegetable stock into the skillet and give it a stir. Allow mixture to come to a simmer and lower the heat to medium.
- At this point, allow the pan to sit. The rice will begin to absorb the stock, forming the paella.
- After about 15-20 minutes, add the pepper strips and lemon wedges to the top of the paella.
- Continue to cook the paella until the rice is very tender. With a wooden spoon check the bottom of the pan to make sure it is cooked throughout.
- There should be a layer of semi-burned rice at the bottom of the pan. This is the best part!
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- Leftover paella can be refrigerated for up to 5 days and reheated.
Keywords: Vegan Banana Blossom Paella