An irresistible flaky roll filled with a spicy tempeh and mushroom mixture. This Vegan Tempeh Sausage Roll is a gorgeous meatless appetizer or entree that everyone will love.
Tempeh Mushroom Sausage Filling:
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 oz. Package Button Mushrooms (Diced Small)
- 8 oz. Package of Tempeh (Crumbled)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, mix the paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, liquid aminos, and vegetable stock. Wash and rice the mushroom into small pieces and thoroughly crumble the tempeh.
- In a dry deep frying pan over medium/high heat, toast the fennel seeds for one minutes or until fragrant.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and add the diced mushrooms. Stir occasionally until the mushrooms begin to release their liquid approx. 2 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tempeh to the pan and continue to cook over medium high. Stir occasionally until the mixture is dry and some of the pieces are browning. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Next, pour the sausage seasoning mixture over the tempeh and mushrooms and stir to combine. Continue to cook and stir for 1-2 minutes allowing the liquids to evaporate but the “sausage” is still a little moist. Set aside to cool.
- Place the puff pastry sheet onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roll the puff pastry with a rolling pin to lengthen and flatten it slightly.
- Spoon the “sausage” mixture into the center of the puff pastry running along the entire length of the sheet. Press to make the sausage more solid.
- Fold the puff pastry over the sausage and seal with a little water. Roll the sausage roll over so that the sealed side is on by the bottom. Brush the olive oil over time, sausage roll and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. With a sharp knife make diagonal slits into the roll for ventilation.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool slightly and slice into 1 1/2 inch slices. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container and then eaten cold or reheated in the microwave or a warm oven.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Homemade Vegan Sausage Roll, Tempeh Sausage Roll, Tempeh Sausage Recipe