An irresistible flaky roll filled with a spicy tempeh and mushroom mixture. This Vegan Tempeh Sausage Roll is a gorgeous meatless appetizer or entree that everyone will love!
Savory Homemade Tempeh “Sausage”
Don’t think for a second that you have to purchase plant-based sausage. The truth is, it can be made at home with a simple brick of tempeh and some mushrooms.
The key is the seasoning that is used to mimic the sausage. By using a combination of toasted fennel seeds, liquid aminos or soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, vegetable broth, and spices- crumbled tempeh quickly takes on the appearance and flavor of traditional ground sausage. A little weird to say, but trust us, it’s absolutely mouthwatering, especially inside flaky puff pastry!
A Flaky Crust
The key to this decadent roll is the flaky, buttery crust but not all puff pastry is vegan so you will want to be sure to read labels carefully. Additionally, you can check out this helpful blog post by LivingMyVegLife.com to help identify which puff pastry brands are in fact vegan.
Another option, if you can’t locate puff pastry, is to use filo or pizza dough. However, we love the flakiness and ease of using puff pastry for this roll.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Tempeh – Hearty and protein packed, crumbled tempeh is transformed into crumbled sausage with just a few ingredients.
- Mushrooms – Earthy mushrooms help fill every bite of this roll with satisfying flavor.
- Sausage Seasoning – This simple mixture will surprise you at how closely it resembles traditional sausage flavor.
- Fennel Seeds – Fennel seeds are a vital addition for any sausage. Don’t skip them!
- Puff Pastry – Light and crispy puff pastry helps direct all the flavor to the ”sausage”. The perfect vehicle!
FAQ & Vegan Tempeh Sausage Roll Tips:
Can you make this with pizza dough instead of puff pastry?
- Absolutely, but then it will be much more dense and more of a calzone rather than a roll. Additionally, this will also change the cooking time.
Do you have to include the mushrooms?
- No, the mushrooms can be omitted but then you will need to use additional tempeh instead.
What should I serve with the tempeh sausage roll?
- A simple salad alongside the roll will give you a complete meal. Alternatively, you can also serve the sausage roll as an appetizer.
Tip: Read labels carefully
- Puff pastry is not always vegan, so you will want to read labels carefully. We use Pepperidge Farm.
A Satisfying Meat-free Recipe
There is no need for pork when you can make absolutely delicious plant-based sausage out of healthy tempeh. Trust us, you will want to make this savory sausage roll on repeat! Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this sausage roll recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Vegan Tempeh Sausage Roll
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 40 min.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Appetizer
- Method: Sauté, Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
An irresistible flaky roll filled with a spicy tempeh and mushroom mixture. This Vegan Tempeh Sausage Roll is a gorgeous meatless appetizer or entree that everyone will love.
Tempeh Mushroom Sausage Filling:
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 oz. Package Button Mushrooms (Diced Small)
- 8 oz. Package of Tempeh (Crumbled)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, mix the paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, liquid aminos, and vegetable stock. Wash and rice the mushroom into small pieces and thoroughly crumble the tempeh.
- In a dry deep frying pan over medium/high heat, toast the fennel seeds for one minutes or until fragrant.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and add the diced mushrooms. Stir occasionally until the mushrooms begin to release their liquid approx. 2 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tempeh to the pan and continue to cook over medium high. Stir occasionally until the mixture is dry and some of the pieces are browning. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Next, pour the sausage seasoning mixture over the tempeh and mushrooms and stir to combine. Continue to cook and stir for 1-2 minutes allowing the liquids to evaporate but the “sausage” is still a little moist. Set aside to cool.
- Place the puff pastry sheet onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roll the puff pastry with a rolling pin to lengthen and flatten it slightly.
- Spoon the “sausage” mixture into the center of the puff pastry running along the entire length of the sheet. Press to make the sausage more solid.
- Fold the puff pastry over the sausage and seal with a little water. Roll the sausage roll over so that the sealed side is on by the bottom. Brush the olive oil over time, sausage roll and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. With a sharp knife make diagonal slits into the roll for ventilation.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool slightly and slice into 1 1/2 inch slices. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container and then eaten cold or reheated in the microwave or a warm oven.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Homemade Vegan Sausage Roll, Tempeh Sausage Roll, Tempeh Sausage Recipe