A plant-based burrito bowl made with flaky banana blossoms sautéed in a homemade taco seasoning with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add some rice, black beans, and fresh vegetables and you have one healthy and scrumptious meat-free meal that’s ready in 25 minutes or less!
1 15 oz. Can Banana Blossoms (Drained, Rinsed, and Sliced)
1/2 Cup Corn
2 Plum Tomatoes (Diced)
1 Red Onion (Diced)
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 Romaine Lettuce Head (Chopped)
1 Can Black Beans (Rinsed)
1 Jalapeño (Diced)
1 Lime (Zested and Juiced)
1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
2–3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (Chopped)
1 Avocado (Sliced)
1 Cup Rice
Vegan Sour Cream (Try this Classic Tofu Sour Cream)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Wash and prepare all of the fresh produce. Cook the rice as per the directions on the package.
- While the rice cooks, combine the corn, tomato, ½ of the jalapeño and ¼ of the cilantro in a small bowl to make a homemade pico de gallo. Set Aside.
- In a deep frying pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and rest of the jalapeño over medium-high heat, until fragrant. (Approximately 3 minutes.)
- Add the chopped banana blossoms, chipotle peppers, and dry spices to the pan and stir to combine. Continue cooking and stirring until thoroughly heated. (Approximately 5 min.)
- Zest and juice the lime. Stir the juice and zest into the cooked rice along with ½ of the rest of the chopped cilantro.
- Serve by first layering the rice and then adding the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and vegan sour cream, if using.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Keywords: Banana Blossom Burrito Bowl