A plant-based burrito bowl made with flaky banana blossoms sautéed in a homemade taco seasoning with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add some rice, black beans, and fresh vegetables and you have one healthy and scrumptious Banana Blossom Burrito Bowl that’s ready in 25 minutes or less!
A Healthy Gluten-Free Burrito Bowl
Do you love Mexican food? Do you LOVE burritos but want a lighter low carb option from time to time? If so, you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE this Banana Blossom Burrito Bowl!
Burrito bowls are the answer when you not only want a meal that’s lighter on the carbs but also when you are feeling lazy and just can’t imagine rolling a tortilla! But even after you roll a beautiful burrito, the second you take a bite it all falls apart making a mess. That’s right BOWLS are the answer.
Easy and Versatile
These burrito bowls are also completely customizable! Rice? Yum! Black beans? Yes, please! Banana Blossom? Absolutely!!!! But of course they can be adapted for everyone’s individual taste preferences and that’s a win for a family dinner especially on a weeknight.
Here is what we included for this recipe:
- Black Beans
- Roman Lettuce
- Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Vegan Sour Cream – Try this easy homemade Classic Tofu Sour Cream.
- Fresh Cilantro
But feel to experiment with your own toppings and mix things up. You can also make a burrito bowl station where each person customizes their own meal. Easy to prepare and sure to please everyone!
Get Ready for… Banana Blossom Burrito Bowls!
We love these vegan burrito bowls because of their ease but also because of… the banana blossoms! That’s right, you can’t have this recipe without the key ingredient. And once you try it, I’m guessing you will feel the same! Yum, Yum, Yum!!!
A plant-based burrito bowl made with flaky banana blossoms sautéed in a homemade taco seasoning with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add some rice, black beans, and fresh vegetables and you have one healthy and scrumptious meat-free meal that’s ready in 25 minutes or less!
1 15 oz. Can Banana Blossoms (Drained, Rinsed, and Sliced)
1/2 Cup Corn
2 Plum Tomatoes (Diced)
1 Red Onion (Diced)
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 Romaine Lettuce Head (Chopped)
1 Can Black Beans (Rinsed)
1 Jalapeño (Diced)
1 Lime (Zested and Juiced)
1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
2–3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (Chopped)
1 Avocado (Sliced)
1 Cup Rice
Vegan Sour Cream (Try this Classic Tofu Sour Cream)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Wash and prepare all of the fresh produce. Cook the rice as per the directions on the package.
- While the rice cooks, combine the corn, tomato, ½ of the jalapeño and ¼ of the cilantro in a small bowl to make a homemade pico de gallo. Set Aside.
- In a deep frying pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and rest of the jalapeño over medium-high heat, until fragrant. (Approximately 3 minutes.)
- Add the chopped banana blossoms, chipotle peppers, and dry spices to the pan and stir to combine. Continue cooking and stirring until thoroughly heated. (Approximately 5 min.)
- Zest and juice the lime. Stir the juice and zest into the cooked rice along with ½ of the rest of the chopped cilantro.
- Serve by first layering the rice and then adding the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and vegan sour cream, if using.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Keywords: Banana Blossom Burrito Bowl
If you find you love banana blossoms as much as we do, give these other recipes a try:
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you so much for your support!