A fabulous vegan “fish” made from banana blossoms that will fool almost anybody. A delicate interior covered in a crusty parmesan dill breading that will leave you licking your lips. This Parmesan Dill Crusted Vegan Fish is sure to delight and maybe even fool a person or two!
Flaky Faux Fish
If you are looking for a plant-based alternative for fish, there is no better imitation than banana blossoms. The natural texture of the blossom resembles the flakiness of fish. In fact, it is so similar it may even fool some of the people around your table!
The easiest and most reasonable way to acquire banana blossoms is the canned variety in brine. The brine adds saltiness which is also reminiscent of actual fish.
Canned blossoms can be found in most Asian markets or you can order it online. If you opt to order online, we would suggest that you buy it in bulk because it is much more economical that way. Additionally, there are plenty of tasty recipes you can try with your vegan fish!
A Crispy Gluten-Free Breading
As good as the banana blossoms are at mimicking real fish, it is the coating on these “fillets” that takes this meal from good to GREAT! Salty dairy-free parmesan mixed with dried dill and gluten-free flour combine to make one crispy, crunchy crust. Be sure to bake them until the coating is nice and brown. You won’t be disappointed!
If you aren’t the biggest fan of store-bought vegan cheese, you can also use homemade parmesan. We love this Vegan Papita Parmesan. It’s absolutely delicious and made from whole food natural ingredients. No matter if you use purchased cheese or homemade, gluten-free or all-purpose flour, dried or fresh dill, you will adore this parmesan dill coating!
FQA about Parmesan Dill Crusted Vegan Fish:
Here are some adaptations to the original recipe if needed or if you want to mix things up…
Are there any other substitutions for the banana blossom?
- We love using banana blossoms because of their texture, but tofu also tastes amazing covered with the parmesan and dill coating. Jackfruit is another great plant-based option that would work that has a similar flaky texture.
Can I make this recipe with fresh dill?
- We used a sprinkling of fresh dill for a pop of color in our photos, but we usually make it with dried for convenience. However, fresh dill will bring amazing flavor so if you have it, by all means please use it!
Can I make homemade vegan parmesan cheese with something other than pepitas?
- You betcha! Vegan parmesan can also be made with cashews, hemp hearts, or even almonds. A simple google search will bring a wealth of creative recipe ideas.J
A Unique Entrée with BIG FLAVOR!
This delicious plant-based “fish” is almost too much like the real thing. It’s tender, flaky, and covered in a crispy cheesy crust. Give this vegan entrée a try, chances are you love it as much as we do!
A vegan fish that tastes shockingly like the real thing. Flaky banana blossoms covered in a Parmesan and dill crust that delivers BIG flavor!
1 18 oz Cans of Banana Blossoms (Drained and Rinsed)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Kelp Powder (Optional)
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Salt
½ Cup Mung Bean Starch or Tapioca Starch
½ Cup Breadcrumb (Gluten-Free if Necessary)
1 tsp Dried Dill
2 Tbsp Grated Vegan Parmesan
Fresh Dill (chopped)
Lemon (cut into wedges)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor place all of the “fish” ingredients except the mung bean starch. Pulse until well combined.
- Once combined transfer to a bowl and stir in the mung bean starch.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and combine the coating ingredients into a small bowl.
- Form the “fish” mixture into palm sized fillet. Then, coat it with the breadcrumb mix and place it onto the parchment.
- Repeat direction 5 until all of the fish mixture is used.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until evenly browned. Turning halfway through.
- Garnish with lemon and fresh dill, if desired. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Parmesan Dill Crusted Vegan Fish
If you are a fan of Banana Blossoms, give some of these other fun recipes a try!
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!