We could eat tacos EVERY day of the week… especially these Vegan Banana Blossom “Fish” Tacos! Your family might not even know they aren’t the real thing… yep, they are that good!
A Plant-based Fish Replacement
Banana blossoms are a perfect plant-based replacement for fish. They are flaky and actually eerily reminiscent of real fish particularly because in this recipe they are coconut crusted banana blossoms. But don’t worry- these tacos are 100% plant-based AND incredibly delicious.
To create the “fish” for these vegan tacos you simply need to lightly coat the banana blossoms with a flax meal “egg” and a combination of gluten-free flour and shredded coconut. Regular flour works too, depending on your own health needs.
There is one little secret in these Banana Blossom “Fish” Tacos… a tiny bit of nori in the batter. This gives the banana blossoms a salty taste that really will fool your fish loving family! The nori is optional, but we highly recommend it!
Tasty Taco Fixings
The best part of any taco is probably the toppings. We love to make a quick pico de gallo while the banana blossoms cook as well as chopping all the other fun additions like red cabbage, cilantro, jalapeño, and avocado. But feel free to get creative and add your own favorite toppings.
Chopping while they cook, not only saves time but it also keeps everything nice and fresh too. Go ahead and add any toppings you like because we really do think ANYTHING would go with these “fish” tacos!
Get Ready for Faux Fish!
If you are in the mood for tacos or if you just want to be fiesta ready for Cinco de Mayo- make these Vegan Banana Blossom “Fish” Tacos. You truly will have to take a second look while indulging in these fabulous seafood-free tacos. Enjoy!
Crispy and crunchy coconut-battered banana blossoms that taste just like the real thing! Garnished with avocado, red cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, and homemade pico de Gallo. A delicious plant-based taco that is sure to be a family favorite!
2 Cans Banana Blossoms (Rinsed and Cut into Manageable Pieces)
1 ½ Cups Flour (Gluten Free, if needed)
1 Cup Shaved Coconut
1 Sheet of Nori (Finely Chopped)
4 Tbsp Flax Seed Meal
12 Tbsp Water
10 Corn Tortillas
Red Cabbage (shaved)
½ Lime (Quartered)
Pico de Gallo:
1 Jalapeño (Seeds Removed and Diced)
1 Red Onion (Peeled and Diced)
1/2 Lime (Juiced)
Fresh Cilantro (Minced)
1 Jalapeño (Sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and wash and prepare all of the vegetables as directed above.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the Pico de Gallo. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In one medium bowl, combine the flour coconut and nori. Stir to incorporate.
- In another medium bowl combine the flax seed meal and water. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- One by one, dip the banana blossoms into the flax “egg” and then into the flour. Making sure they are completely covered in each step. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until they reach your desired crispness.
- Assemble the tacos. Briefly heat the corn tortillas one-by-one in a dry frying pan over medium/high heat. This should take one minute. Flip them once in between.
- Plate the tortilla and place a crisp banana blossom in the middle. Top with cabbage, pico de gallo, jalapeño, avocado and cilantro, if desired.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
- Store any leftover “fish” in an airtight container in the refrigerator separate from the other ingredients for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven to help maintain their crispiness.
Keywords: Vegan Banana Blossom "Fish" Tacos
If you love banana blossoms, check out some of these other recipes that include this terrific meat replacement.
Or this collection of The 10 BEST Vegan Banana Blossom Recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to buy from these links we will receive a small commission. Thank you for the support!