These vegan breakfast sausage patties feature king oyster mushrooms, chickpea flour, and lots of herbs and spices for a savory yet slightly sweet flavor. This hearty plant-based protein will satisfy herbivores and carnivores alike!
A Healthy Plant-Based Breakfast
Although everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is often skipped. Us included, whether it’s due to lack of time or healthy homemade meat-free options. However, with this scrumptious mushroom “sausage” perfect for meal prep, you will never want to skip breakfast again.
The king oyster mushrooms provide not only a “meaty” texture but also can easily be pulled into shreds which perfectly imitate pulled pork. By simply using a fork, these large mushrooms are turned into a meatless sausage that is high in fiber, low in calories, and packed with antioxidants and vitamins.
Great for a Meal-On-the-Go!
Once prepared, these protein rich patties can be eaten alone with a side salad or hash browns for a complete breakfast or put them on a biscuit for a meal that can be taken on the go.
Additionally, once prepared the patties can be frozen and then easily reheated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top. Best yet, they are just as great reheated as they are on the day they are prepared. Don’t skip breakfast anymore!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- King Oyster Mushrooms – The meaty texture of these mushrooms make it perfect for this plant-based substitute.
- Onion & Garlic – This classic sauté creates an aromatic base for the sausages.
- Chickpea Flour – This flour is not only a binder for the patties, it also adds protein to start your day right.
- Flax Eggs – The flaxseed meal acts as a binder for the patties and keeps everything together.
- Maple Syrup – Naturally sweet maple syrup contrasts with the savory herbs and spices.
- Liquid Aminos – Gluten-free with the same saltiness as soy sauce, liquid aminos make these sausages free from most common food allergies.
- Herbs & Spices – A combination of Fennel Seeds, Ground Sage, Paprika, Garlic Powder, & optional Red Pepper Flakes provide the same flavor profile as most meat sausages.
FAQ & Mushroom Breakfast Sausage Tips:
Are these breakfast sausages gluten-free?
- Yup. These plant-based sausages are dairy free, gluten-free, and nut free.
How long do vegan sausages last?
- These mushroom sausages can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Mix it up!
- These sausages can be made a variety of different ways. Try adding cayenne or sriracha for a spicy twist, add small diced pieces of apple for a sweet sausage, or add poultry seasoning for a meatless “chicken” sausage.
A Hearty Meat-Free Sausage
No need to settle for store bought vegan sausage. Make your own with just a couple of main ingredients! They’re satisfying, nutritious and preservative free- homemade goodness. Happy cooking!
Finally, if you have made these sausages, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Vegan Mushroom Breakfast Sausage
- Prep Time: 10 min. (+ cooling time)
- Cook Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sauté, Food Processor, Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A homemade plant-based sausage patty made with king oyster mushrooms. Enjoy a vegan mushroom breakfast sausage for a healthy meat-free meal.
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped Small)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 8 oz King Oyster Mushrooms (Shredded)
- 1 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Ground Sage
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper(Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 Flax Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Amino
- Using a fork, shred the mushrooms into fine threads (see photo). Prepare the onion and garlic as directed above.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, sauté the onion with 2 tsp of olive oil stirring occasionally. Once the onion is fragrant (approx 2 minutes) add the mushrooms and garlic. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender (approx. 4 minutes). Add the fennel, ground sage, paprika, garlic powder and red pepper and stir to combine.
- Allow the sauté to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, add the mushroom mixture with the rest of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until incorporated.
- Divide into equal sized portions (approx. 3 Tbsp mixture for each patty). Form each sausage into a 2-3 inch diameter patty. It will make approximately 8 patties.
- Heat a frying pan with a small amount of oil and brown the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side. Alternatively, you can also bake the patties for 20 minutes at 400°F.
- Serve with your favorite breakfast staples or in a breakfast sandwich if you are on the go. Enjoy!
- Leftover sausage patties can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Breakfast Sausage, Homemade Vegan Sausage Recipe, King Oyster Mushroom Recipe
4 thoughts on “Vegan Mushroom Breakfast Sausage”
I have made this several times and it is very soft, cannot form . I just drop them in the pan. I baked them in a round pan. I must say they are very delicious.
Hi Whitlyn! Thanks so much for trying them out. We aren’t sure why your sausages aren’t forming easily, but we would recommend either adding more chickpea flour or sautéing the mushrooms a little longer to remove excess moisture. Hope that helps and thank you again!
Can these be baked? If so, at what temperature and how long
To be honest we have not tried them this way. But. Start at 400°F for 25-30 minutes, turning half way through. Use your discretion, with your preferred coloring. Please let us know if you try it.