Crispy Air-fried french fries that are made from healthy rutabaga. This is one tasty gluten-free and vegan side that you won’t feel guilty about!
A Healthy Fry Alternative
French fries should be their own food group in our opinion. Honestly, there is nothing better than a side of crispy fries and a plate full of condiments for dipping and sometimes you just have to indulge, right?!
However, what if we told you that you can enjoy a healthy fry alternative that is just as indulgent as the real thing but it contains a fraction of the calories and carbs. There is!…These crispy fries are made out of rutabaga and fried in the air fryer for an indulgent side without the guilt. Yes, please!
The Benefits of Rutabaga
In the past, we have typically stuck to mashing or roasting rutabaga. In fact, we’ve even used it for an amazing Jackfruit & Rutabaga Shepherd’s Pie.
This giant root vegetable is a cross between turnips and cabbage and it has a rich buttery flavor that some might compare to yukon gold potatoes.
But this tasty veggie is also incredibly nutritious. Rutabagas are rich in antioxidants, low in calories, and high in fiber. Additionally, they can replace potatoes, carrots, turnips, or any other root vegetables in most recipes- including for french fries!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Rutabaga – This large root vegetable is loaded with rich flavor and perfect for slicing into french fry spears.
- Olive Oil – Extra Virgin Olive Oil is used to lightly coat the fries prior to air frying.
- Fry Seasoning – A combination of dry spices and herbs including salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano add amazing depth to these simple fries.
FAQ & Rutabaga Fry Tips:
Can these fries be baked instead?
- Absolutely. Simply spread the fries on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes at 425℉.
What should you serve as a dipper for rutabaga fries?
- Although you can go the traditional route of ketchup, we also love the flavor of horseradish with these fries. Check out this recipe for Homemade Fries with Creamy Horseradish Drizzle. But another option is any hot sauce, mustard, gochujang, or even a harissa or zhoug.
Tip: Use a Mandoline or cut the fries as uniformly as possible
- When the fries are uniform in size, it allows them to cook more evenly.
Mix Up the Seasonings.
- You can easily use other seasonings that you have on hand to season these fries. We love the idea of Cajun fries, black garlic, or even truffle seasoning!
A Guilt-Free Side
Don’t wait any longer– you don’t want to miss these amazing and nutritious fries! In fact, I think it’s about time we made these again too… 😏 Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made these rutabaga fries, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Healthy Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 20-25 min.
- Total Time: 35 min.
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A low calorie and low carb alternative to french fries, these Healthy Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries are a guilt free side with delicious flavor!
- 1 Medium Rutabaga (Peeled and Cut into 1/2 Inch Sticks)
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Olive Oil (or More to Coat)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Peel and cut the rutabaga, you can use a mandoline or a knife.
- Place the cut rutabaga sticks into a bowl and over with the spices.
- Add the oil over the seasoned fries and toss to coat.
- Add the fries to the preheated air fryer and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes. Turn the fries halfway through.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Leftover fries and be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days and then reheated in the air fryer or on a sheet pan in a 400℉ oven until warm.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Healthy Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries, Rutabaga French Fries, Rutabaga Recipe