These Jerk Jackfruit Tostadas are a quick and easy meal with big flavor and a satisfying crunch. Spicy jerk seasoned jackfruit topped with quick-pickled onions, homemade mango salsa, and fresh avocado on a crispy tortilla. Yum!
A Versatile Meat Replacement
If you have never tried jackfruit, NOW is the time! It is one of the most versatile ingredients you can cook with, especially as a meat substitute. The most convenient method is canned Green Jackfruit in brine. We typically buy ours from Trader Joe’s, but it can be found in Asian markets or at more and more traditional grocery stores as well.
With the canned version, you will need to do a little prep if you are using it for a recipe requiring shreds like these Jerk Jackfruit Tostadas. Simply use a fork or your fingers to pull apart the jackfruit pieces. It will naturally separate into strands which is perfect for mimicking pulled pork or shredded beef. It really is a plant-based wonder!
Recently, we were at the grocery store and even saw store bought hummus with jackfruit in it. Clearly the secret is out. But if you have been curious, these jerk seasoned tostadas are a great way to start.
Spice Is Always Nice!
If you like spicy food, jerk seasoning will be your jam! It’s packed with rich flavor with just the right amount of heat. For this recipe, you can make your own homemade jerk spice blend exactly to your personal preference.
However, you can also buy jerk seasoning if you want to save time but it is so easy to mix up your own spice seasoning at home. Give it a try!
The crispy tortilla and jerk jackfruit are delightful but the garnish on these tostadas bring this meal to new heights. Sweet mango salsa, bright pickled onion, and fresh sliced avocado bring a perfect blend of sweet and spicy. Yum, yum, yum!
Feel free to replace the mango salsa with a store-bought jarred variety to save time. We would recommend going with a sweeter salsa such as pineapple or corn. The sweetness in the salsa is a nice contrast to the spicy jerk jackfruit.
Get Ready for Crunching and Munching!
These jerk jackfruit tostadas are simply amazing. Even while doing this write-up it is making me crave them again! They really are that good. But don’t just take my word for it, try it for yourself! Your taste buds will thank you. Happy crunching!
Spicy, crunchy and light- these jerk jackfruit tostadas are all of the above! The spicy jackfruit is topped with tangy pickled onion and mango salsa for one amazing vegan meal.
- 1 Can Green Jackfruit (Shredded)
- 1 15oz Can Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Avocado (Sliced for Garnish)
- 1 Plum Tomato (Cubed for Garnish)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil (+ extra for brushing the tortillas)
- 1 Fresh Mango (Cubed)
- 1 Jalapeño (Seeded and Diced Small)
- ¼ Red Onion (Diced)
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
- ½ Lime (Juiced)
Quick Pickled Onion
- ¾ Red Onion (Sliced Thin)
- ½ Lime (Juiced)
- ¼ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- Wash and prepare all fresh vegetables.
- Make the mango salsa. Combine all the ingredients for the mango salsa and chill.
- Next, In a frying pan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients for the pickled onion. Allow the pan to come to a simmer and stir constantly until the liquid has reduced by half. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Make the jerk seasoning. In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the jerk mix. Stir to incorporate.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a frying pan over medium/high heat, place 2 tsp of olive oil and the shredded jackfruit. Cook stirring occasionally until it starts to brown. Add 2-3 Tbsps of the jerk seasoning and continue to cook and stir for 3-4 minutes. Next, add the rinsed black beans to the pan and turn off the heat. Stir the beans into the jackfruit mixture.
- On a baking sheet, place 6 corn tortillas and brush both sides of them with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes and flip them over. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until they are brown and crisp.
- To serve, spoon the jackfruit and bean mixture onto the crisp tortilla and top with the pickled onion, salsa, avocado, tomato and a sprinkle of cilantro. You can also add some fresh jalapeño, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You may have extra jerk seasoning depending on how spicy you want the jackfruit. If so, it can be stored in an airtight container for up to a year.
Keywords: Vegan Jerk Jackfruit Tostadas