This is the BEST homemade spicy Mac and Cheese of your life. It is incredibly cheesy but the “cheese” is made out of carrots and potatoes. Yes, really! This Gochujang Sriracha Baked Mac & Cheese is completely plant-based and gluten free. But you would never know it and that’s the best part!
There is nothing we love more than creamy cashew cheese. But unlike most vegan macaroni and cheese recipes this one is packed full of hidden veggies too! Here is what’s in the “cheese” sauce…
- Nutritional Yeast
- Gochujang Sriracha Sauce
Definitely a whole lot more than just cashews! But no-one will ever know– especially picky eaters!!
This Gochujang Sriracha Baked Mac & Cheese packs a punch. It is not for the faint of heart, but if you love spicy food…you will adore this dish! I mean what could be better than sriracha and gochujang COMBINED!
We came across this unique gochujang sriracha hot sauce at a specialty shop in Brooklyn. It is made by Bushwick Kitchen which makes a variety of terrific products. However, if you don’t live in the Brooklyn, you can also find it on Amazon. We love it and you can learn more HERE.
However, if you are in a pinch you can also simply mix Sriracha and Gochujang together. Both sauces are spicy but bring a different element of flavor. Sriracha tends to be sweeter and Gochujang is more robust and smoky. And together?… WHAM! The best of both spicy worlds!
If you are always in the market for new flavors of hot sauce give Gochujang Sriracha a whirl. But better yet, add it to this Gochujang Sriracha Baked Mac & Cheese. There is just something amazing about pure “cheesy” goodness, noodles, and a touch of spice. This baked macaroni and cheese really does have it ALL!
- 12 oz Elbow Macaroni (We Used Gluten Free)
- 2 Carrots (Peeled and Cut into Chunks)
- 2 potatoes (Peeled and Cut into Chunks)
- 1 Onion (Peeled and Cut into Chunks)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Peeled)
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- ⅓ Cup Gochujang Sriracha Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Bunch Fresh Thyme (Stems Removed)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Bread Crumb (We Used Gluten Free)
- Vegan Parmesan
- 1 Bunch Fresh Parsley (Stems Removed)
- Put a large pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Wash and prepare all of the fresh produce.
- Once the water is boiling, add the cashews. Allow to boil for ten minutes.
- At this point carefully put the potatoes, carrots and onions into the boiling water. Allow the vegetables to boil for an additional 5 minutes. Drain the cashews and vegetables, saving some at least 2 cups of the boiling water.
- Start to cook your pasta as per the directions on the package.
- Put the boiled nuts and vegetables into a blender along with the garlic, gochujang sriracha sauce, thyme, dry spices and 1 cup of the reserved water. Blend until very smooth. Add additional water if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour your cooked pasta into an oven safe baking dish. Pour the “cheese” sauce onto the pasta and stir to combine. (You may have extra sauce. We like to use it later in the week for a quick nacho or on a baked potato. But feel free to use it all if you really love “cheese!”)
- Cover the top of the dish with bread crumb and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the breadcrumb has browned.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan and parsley.