This tangy and sweet rum cocktail tastes as good as it looks! Shake up this simple Tropical Blood Orange Hurricane Cocktail for one refreshing adult beverage.
Beautiful Blood Orange
If you love a good cocktail that a) tastes amazing and b) is quick and easy to make, then you need this blood orange hurricane in your life. It’s just as mouth watering as a classic hurricane recipe but this drink features bright and tangy blood orange juice.
But it doesn’t stop there! The blood orange combines splendidly with floral passion fruit juice and zesty lime and then the warm notes from both the dark and light rum gives this drink a balanced flavor. This is one smooth cocktail you don’t want to miss!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Dark Rum– Brings smoky and sweet flavors from the aging process.
- Light Rum – Provides a mild vanilla taste that goes hand in hand with the dark rum.
- Passion Fruit Juice – Adds amazing floral notes to the taste and smell of this drink.
- Blood Orange – This beautiful citrus is bright and a little bitter which blends perfectly with the sweet passion fruit.
- Lime – A dash of zesty and vibrant flavor is added with the lime.
- Agave Nectar – This sweet syrup helps combine all the flavors and gives the drink smoothness.
FAQ & Hurricane Cocktail Tips:
Is this drink vegan?
- Yup! Traditionally hurricanes are garnished with maraschino cherries which often are colored with carmine or Natural Red 4 which is derived from grinding up cochineal bugs. However, by leaving out this garnish, this drink can be enjoyed by all.
Can this hurricane be made with only one type of rum?
- Yes. If you only have one type of rum on hand, this drink will still deliver delicious flavor. However, we highly recommend using both because it provides balance to the drink.
Who invented the hurricane?
- This famous New Orleans cocktail was invented at Pat O’Brien’s nightclub during World War II in order to utilize a huge surplus of rum coming from the Caribbean islands whereas domestic liquor was harder to come by. The drink proved to be a winner especially once it was served in the iconic hurricane glass shaped like a hurricane lamp.
Be careful with your kitchen tools.
- Blood orange juice is beautiful but potent and it will stain. We recommend using a cutting board that you don’t mind if it has a lingering red color for a while.
Experiment with other citrus fruits.
- Although we love the blood orange juice in this cocktail, it would also be fun to experiment with grapefruit, pomelo, or other varieties of oranges as well.
A Taste of Mardi Gras at Home
If you aren’t able to hit The Big Easy to celebrate Fat Tuesday this year, enjoy a sliver of fun in your own home with this flavorful hurricane. It’s sure to go down smooth and easy as well as brighten up a dreamy cold winter night. Cheers! 🍹
Additionally, if you have made this adult drink, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much and enjoy!
A tangy and beautiful twist on the traditional New Orleans classic. This Tropical Blood Orange Hurricane Cocktail is sweet, smooth, and easy!
- 2 oz Dark Rum
- 2 oz Light Rum
- 2 oz Passion Fruit Juice
- 1/2 Lime (juiced)
- 1/2 Blood Orange (juiced)
- 1/2 oz Agave Nectar
- Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Cover and shake vigorously until well combined and cold.
- Add ice to two glasses and pour the drink evenly between them. Strain out the shaker ice while pouring, if desired.
- Garnish with lime and blood orange slices and enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Blood Orange Hurricane Cocktail, Hurricane Recipe