An easy pesto that makes use of the fennel greens! This Vegan Fennel Frond Pesto has amazing anise-like flavor that tastes delicious on pasta, pizza, grilled veggies, and more!
Don’t Throw Out Those Fennel Fronds!
In our world today, it’s easy to waste. Particularly, in the U.S. where most have an abundance of food. However, we have been trying to decrease the amount we waste and this pesto is a great way to start!
Fennel bulb has a sweet anise-like flavor that is terrific on salads or simply for roasting. In the past, we always used the fronds for a garnish or we would throw them out, but not anymore.
By simply puréeing the greens of a fennel with oil and a few other ingredients, you produce one easy and fresh pesto. Although the fronds do have milder taste than the bulb itself. However, if you like anise, you will adore this vegan pesto. It’s bright, fresh, and flavorful!
What You Will Need:
- Fennel Fronds – The top of a fennel bulb is easily chopped and blended into a bright homemade pesto.
- Olive Oil – You can’t have pesto without oil. It adds richness and flavor.
- Nutritional Yeast – This will provide a mild cheesy taste to your pesto but is so much healthier than traditional pesto with lots of parmesan.
- Walnuts – Roasted walnuts add a toasty element along with satisfying protein.
- Garlic – The garlic provides a rich pungent taste that pairs deliciously with the fronds.
- Lemon – A necessary ingredient that adds brightness and acidity to your pesto.
- Miso Paste – This optional Japanese paste brings a deep umami flavor along with needed salt.
FAQ & Vegan Fennel Frond Pesto Tips:
What do fennel fronds taste like?
- The small dill-like fronds on the top of a fennel bulb have an anise-like taste just like the bulb, but it is usually milder in flavor.
Are fennel fronds healthy?
- Yes! Just like the fennel bulb, the fronds are also nutrient rich. Fennel is rich in vitamin C, fiber, and potassium.
How long will vegan pesto last?
- Pesto will keep for up to two week if it is adequately covered in oil. Additionally, vegan pesto doesn’t contain dairy, so this also helps to extend its shelf-life.
Slowly add the olive oil.
- It’s best to slowly drizzle the olive oil into the pesto while it is puréed in a food processor. This will help it to be incorporated and it will also reduce the chance of adding too much oil.
Prior to refrigerating, add extra oil.
- In order to preserve your pesto, cover the top with a layer of olive oil prior to refrigeration.
A Unique Homemade Vegan Pesto
If you are a fan of fennel, you will love this easy plant-based pesto. Best yet, you use something you probably would have thrown out and end up with a delicious versatile sauce or condiment. Plus, isn’t fennel frond pesto fun to say?! 😂 Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this fennel frond pesto recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy blending! 😋
An easy homemade pesto that makes use of the fennel greens! Don’t throw away the tops of those fennel bulbs! This Vegan Fennel Frond Pesto has amazing anise-like flavor and is ready in 5 minutes.
- Place the raw walnuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Allow nuts to toast, stirring occasionally until skins have browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place the toasted nuts in a clean dish towel and rub them together gently. This will help remove the skins from the nuts.
- Prepare all the produce as directed above.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor except the oil. Turn the food processor on high and slowly drizzle the oil into the pesto. More or less oil can be used if you desire a different consistency.
- Serve over grilled vegetables, pasta or salads.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator with a layer of oil covering the top of the pesto in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Fennel Frond Pesto, Fennel Pesto Recipe