A savory and cozy plant-based meal that is sure to warm you up on a cool night. This Vegan Mushroom & Tofu Fricassee is nutritious, hearty, and oh-so-comforting.
A Meat-Free Take On a French Classic
Traditionally a fricassee is made with meat and is basically a cross between a saute and a stew. While the name may make it seem complicated, it is actually incredibly easy and straightforward to make.
Basically this meal is classic French comfort food but this time without the meat. However, thanks to the earthy and “meaty” oyster mushrooms and the protein-rich tofu, you definitely will be satisfied.
This dish features a creamy and buttery white sauce and medley of carrots, celery, and onions along with the mushroom and large tofu chunks. Add some white wine, and you have one savory meal to curl up with on a dark winter night.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Tofu – Extra Firm Tofu is broken into large chunks to perfectly mimic the traditional meat.
- Mushrooms – Oysters mushrooms provide texture and earthy flavor. However, any other mushroom can also be substituted if needed.
- Carrot – The carrot adds an element of sweetness.
- Celery – The stalks of celery provide nutrition with a slight crunch.
- Onion & Garlic – A white onion and garlic bring robust flavor.
- Lemon – A squeeze of lemon will provide acidity to the white cream sauce.
- Vegetable Broth – The broth adds a stew-like element to the meal.
- White Wine – A dry white wine will provide extra richness and brightness.
- Vegan Butter – A tiny bit of butter makes this meal extra decadent.
- Flour – The flour brings texture to the white sauce and helps it adhere the veggies.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Any nut or soy milk will work and it will provide a rich and creamy sauce.
- Spices – A combination of dried thyme and basil add brightness.
- Fresh Parsley – This optional herb adds a touch of brightness.
FAQ & Mushroom & Tofu Fricassee Tips:
Can this be made gluten-free?
- Absolutely. Simply use gluten-free flour instead of regular. Additionally, serve it over rice or mashed potatoes rather than with bread.
What do you serve alongside fricassee?
- Traditionally it is served with white rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles. However, we also like to serve it with toasted crusty bread for a nice crunch.
Do a little research for the white wine.
- If you wish to keep this meal vegan, be sure to check the label of your white wine. Many wines today are made vegan, but not all. We like the brand Bogle and usually use their Chardonnay for this fricassee recipe.
How to store.
- Place covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or it can be frozen for up to 3 months. We recommend letting it thaw in the fridge for 24 hours if frozen before reheating.
A Cozy Vegan Meal
If you have been feeling the chill of cooler weather recently, now is the time for a hearty fricassee. It’s incredibly simple to make and it’s ultra comforting on a cool night. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this fricassee recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy cooking! 😊
A meat-free recipe for a French classic. This cozy vegan mushroom & tofu fricassee is rich, creamy, and absolutely satisfying.
- 1 15 oz Brick Extra Firm Tofu (Broken into bite sized pieces)
- 8 oz Oyster Mushrooms (Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 Stalks Celery (Chopped)
- 1 Carrot (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Dry Basil
- 1 tsp Dry Thyme
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Dry White Wine
- 3 Cups Veggie Stock
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Soy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley (Chopped for Garnish)
- Prepare all produce as directed above. In a large bowl coat the tofu pieces and mushrooms in the flour.
- In a large Stock pot coated with a 2 tsp of olive oil, cook the coated tofu and mushrooms over medium heat. Stir occasionally until golden brown. Approx. 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Clean the stock pot iif desired. Next add the carrot, celery, onion and butter to the Stock pot and place over medium/heat. Sauté until fragrant, Approx. 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu and mushroom mixture to the sautéed vegetables along with the garlic and dry spices. Allow mixture to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Stirring occasionally to combine.
- Next add the wine and sauté for 3 more minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer and allow to thicken stirring occasionally, Approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the lemon juice and soy milk and stir to combine. Heat for 2-3 more minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over rice and toasted bread.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Fricassee Recipe, Mushroom & Tofu Fricassee