This spicy vegan Butter Bean Vegetable Curry is what dreams are made of… lot of veggies- eggplant, string beans, bell pepper, broccoli, and jalapeño- oh, my! But then you have the rich and creamy butter beans, a perfect addition to this hot and spicy curry. It’s truly heavenly!
A vegetable rich curry is one of the regulars in our household. It has tons of flavor and it can be adjusted easily depending on the vegetables on hand. However, when butter beans are added… it’s out of this world delicious.
If you aren’t familiar with the name butter beans, they are also called lima beans and they originate in Meso and South America. Depending on where you live, you will know them by different names. In fact, here are all of the names these yummy little beans might be called…
- Butter Bean
- Lima Bean
- Sieva Bean
- Double Bean
- Madagascar Bean
No matter the name, this is one tasty bean that provides lots of buttery flavor to any meal.
Speaking of meals, this Butter Bean Vegetable Curry is one healthy yet satisfying dish. We recommend serving it over rice. Basmati rice is the more traditional route, but brown or white rice works too.
One tip, add the butter beans at the very end of sautéing your curry. The beans only need enough time to thoroughly heat and this allows them to retain their shape rather than breaking down into pieces. It will just look a little better at the end but no matter what, it will taste spectacular.
The cold weather is here, and that means that it’s the ideal time for this spicy Butter Bean Vegetable Curry. It will warm you from the inside out and will provide that light tingle that shows your mouth this meal means business. Don’t worry, the tingle will subside but your stomach will be satisfied.
- 1 Medium Eggplant (Chopped)
- 1 Small Broccoli (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 2 Dry Chilis
- 2-3 Whole Cardamom Pods (Optional)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (Small Diced)
- 1 Medium Jalapeño (Small Diced)
- 2 tsp Grated Garlic
- 2 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Handful String Beans (Trimmed and Chopped)
- 1 14 oz Can coconut Milk
- 1 14 oz Can Butter Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 1 tbsp Green Onions (Chopped) (Garnish)
- 1 tbsp Chopped Raw Cashews (Garnish)
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped) (Garnish)
- Prepared Rice
- Prepare all fresh produce as directed above.
- In a large/deep skillet, coated with oil, sauté the eggplant, red pepper and broccoli over medium heat. Stir frequently until the eggplant has reduced in size. About 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same skillet coated with 2 Tbsp of oil over medium heat, add the dried chilis and cardamom pods. Allow to heat until aromatic. 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook stirring frequently until evenly browned about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the ginger, garlic, jalapeño and curry powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked vegetables back to the skillet, along with the string beans. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour the coconut milk into the skillet and stir to combine and add the beans.
- Allow to simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro and chopped cashew.