This cozy Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh is sure to please all your senses. It’s bright, zesty, and salty- a winning combo for helping to ward off the winter blues.
Lovely Lemony Lentils
Who doesn’t love protein rich lentils?! These mighty legumes are quick to prepare and even better to eat!
Yellow lentils were used in this recipe because they amazing little things are grown in my home-state of Montana.If you are interested in organically grown lentils from Big Sky Country, check out THESE beauties!
However, don’t worry if you can’t track down yellow lentils, red also work terrifically for this citrusy Lemon Lentil Soup. Same cook time and all!
Savory & Smokey Tempeh
Tempeh is the ideal plant-based protein for this lentil soup. It can easily be crumbled making it a perfect compliment on a spoon for this lentil soup. It’s salty, hearty, and easy to prepare.
The smokiness of the tempeh balances the tart lemon. It might sound strange but trust us, TRY THIS SOUP!
We like to make our own and if you are intrigued, check out this remarkably easy Homemade Tempeh recipe. Yum, yum, yum!!!
Helpful Cooking Tips
- Adding a lemon wedge for garnish adds beauty and gives the option of extra lemony flavor. In fact, using a little lemon zest on top works too!
- This soup is best when it’s partially puréed. Then it will be creamy but also full of texture. A regular blender can be used but we like to use an immersion hand blender for more control.
- If you don’t have liquid smoke, it can be omitted and then you will just have protein-packed tempeh without the smokiness. Don’t worry, it will still be delicious!
Soup feeds the soul especially during the dreariness of winter. This comforting Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh deliverers satisfying flavor that is good to the last slurp. Enjoy!
Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Sauté, Simmer, Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh – A winning combination of salty tempeh in a bright citrusy lentil soup. Easy and plant-based!
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups Dry Yellow Lentils
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Lemons (Zest and Juice)
- Fresh Parsley (for Garnish)
- 1 Brick Tempeh (Broken Up)
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- Prepare all produce as directed above.
- Over medium heat, sauté the diced onion for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and spices to the onion and stir until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Next, add lentils and broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, prepare the tempeh. In a frying pan over medium heat, sauté the crumbled tempeh with a small amount of oil. Stir frequently until browned. About 5-7 minutes.
- Once browned, carefully add the liquids to the tempeh and allow to simmer until evaporated.
- When the lentils are soft, remove the soup from the heat. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup slightly. Make sure to leave some whole lentils. They will add texture.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice. As well as cooked tempeh. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley and lemon.
Keywords: Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh
5 thoughts on “Lemon Lentil Soup with Smokey Tempeh”
‘This Lemon Lentil Soup looks very appetizing, most of these recipes are something I cannot wait to try
Thank you! Hope you do try some! Have a great weekend!
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors and this recipe is a showcase for that citrus , just perfect
Same with us! We love lemon!!!! Hope you like it!