There are certain foods that bring you back to a time and place. This Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup transports me back to the great state of Minnesota. Wild rice is a regional specialty there and used in many dishes but this soup from my Aunt Janet always stood out as a favorite.
Now of course this had to be adapted for our current diet by removing the traditional meat and dairy, but I dare say this is just as flavorful as the original.
We also altered the recipe by using goji berries rather than cranberries. Both work great and taste amazing but we just happened to have goji berries on hand so we thought, why not?! The goji berries bring a mild sweetness to the creamy soup.
But the best part, has to be the nutty wild rice with its complexity and texture. However, be sure to leave enough time for it to cook. Wild rice takes much longer to cook than other varieties. Once the wild rice is cooked though, the rest of the soup comes together in a flash!
When you are in the mood for something warm and comforting, look no further than this Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup. And even if you can’t make it to the Land of 10, 000 lakes you will almost feel like you are there in spirit.
Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Sauté, Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup that features Goji berries, wild rice, and nourishing vegetables. This healthy, cozy meal is sure to delight!
- 1 Carrot (Chopped Fine)
- 1 Celery Stalk (Chopped Fine)
- 1 Onion (Chopped Fine)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Wild Rice (Cooked)
- ½ Cup Dried Goji Berries (or Dried Cranberries)
- Cook the wild rice and wash and prepare all fresh vegetables.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, celery, carrot and thyme leaves. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add the vegetable stock and stir to incorporate. Increase the heat to medium/high. Stir constantly until the soup thickens. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked wild rice rice and the goji berries and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the non-dairy milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Reheat the soup in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Wild Rice Soup, Dairy Free Wild Rice Soup, Wild Rice Soup Recipe
1 thought on “Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup”
I’m going to try this when it cools down here in Arizona and I get back to my weekly homemade soups!