Ahhhhh, beautiful vegetables- there is nothing better! In fact, often times we design whole recipes around a pretty veggie. This was the case with this gorgeous Romanesco & Chickpea Salad. I mean, just look at the awesome romanesco!
If you are unfamiliar, romanesco is actually different from cauliflower or broccoli but often you will hear it referred to as either. It is technically Brassica oleracea which is related to a wild cabbage. Although, it does taste similar to cauliflower and the green reminds one of broccoli. However, the shade of bright green is simply spectacular and really shines on any plate.
That was the case with this Romanesco & Chickpea Salad. This salad is fresh, light, and tasty. It works great as a side or give yourself an extra big serving and have it for your full meal. The chickpeas give it that protein that will be sure to satisfy and fill you up.
Along with the romanesco and chickpeas, this salad is full of sunflower seeds, currants, shallots, radish, hemp hearts and bright mint. Then, last but not least, it’s finished with a creamy horseradish vinaigrette. I know- it sounds weird! But trust us on this one. Somehow the zesty mustard works with the fresh mint.
However, if you are not a big fan of horseradish the dressing could be replaced with a regular mustard vinaigrette or really any light dressing because the real stars of this salad are the flavorful veggies.
If you are looking for a fun and flavorful salad, look no further. You found it! This Romanesco & Chickpea Salad will have you smacking your lips and going back for more. Plus, it will look gorgeous on your plate, what’s better than that?! Enjoy!
- 1 Large Romenesco (Cut into Bite Sized Chunks)
- 1 15oz. Can Chickpeas (Drained and Rinsed)
- 2 Small Shallots (Halved and Sliced)
- 4 Radishes (Halved and Sliced)
- 1 Small Bunch Fresh Mint (Leaves)
- ¼ Cup Dried Currants
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Hearts (optional)
- ¼ Cup Sun Flower Seeds
- Horseradish Mustard
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Lemon (Juiced)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Wash and prepare all fresh produce while you wait for the water to boil.
- Place several ice cubes into a large bowl and fill with cold water.
- Blanch the romanesco. Boil the romanesco chunks for 3 minutes and plunge immediately into the ice water to cool. Work in batches if necessary. Drain the romanesco when it has cooled.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until well incorporated.
- Make the Salad. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad and toss to combine.
- Drizzle a small amount of the dressing over the salad and toss again.
- Serve in bowls with extra dressing if desired.