Pesto… It’s one of those traditional recipes that often one doesn’t want to mess with. UNTIL NOW!!! We received Biquinho Peppers, also known as “Little Beak” peppers (thanks to their adorable shape) in a farm share box. On a whim, we decided to throw them in with our final batch of basil from our herb garden for a pesto… INCREDIBLE! This Buquinho Pepper Pesto is truly a MUST try- if you can track down these robust peppers.
Biquinho peppers originate from Brasil and are traditionally pickled or often thrown into a stir fry. They are perfect for many uses thanks to their smokey rich flavor and lack of heat. That’s right… Even people who don’t love spice will LOVE these little peppers!
Now, pesto can be made in a variety of ways but we opted to stick to traditional basil for this recipe because we wanted the biquinho peppers to have their day, but I imagine it would be great with an arugula (rocket), cilantro, spinach, or even sun-dried tomato. The possibilities are endless thanks to these fun little peppers.
But you MUST try this Biquinho Pepper Pesto. It just WORKS! And… it’s EASY! In fact it comes together in 10 minutes! REALLY!!! No cooking or chopping required. Did I say it was EASY?!
This amazing pesto is deep with flavor thanks to the peppers, as well as bright and aromatic due to the abundance of fresh basil. Additionally, you really don’t miss the cheese. This pesto shines all on its own. Basil, “little beak” peppers, garlic, pine nuts, extra virgin oil and basic seasoning- that’s it. Incredible flavor in merely 5 ingredients. This truly is a recipe you will want to make again and AGAIN.
If you can find biguinho peppers- GET THEM! You won’t be disappointed. Pepper fanatics and heat intolerant alike will appreciate these flavorful little gems. This Biquinho Pepper Pesto is great for pasta, pizza, bruchetta, or really drizzling on ANYTHING! We hope you love this new version of pesto as much as we did. Enjoy!
- 3 Cups Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
- ⅓ Cup Pine Nuts
- ½ Cup Biquinho Peppers (Stems Removed)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ½ tsp Pink Peppercorns
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ tsp Pink Sea Salt
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil
- Wash and prepare all fresh produce.
- Place all of the ingredients except for the oil into a food processor.
- Run the processor on high and slowly drizzle the oil into the blending pesto.
- You may have to stop and scrap down the sides of the food processor several times.
- Continue to blend until the pesto is completely combined.
- Store in an air tight container. It is best to drizzle a thin layer of oil over the pesto to prevent browning. Refrigerate and use within 4-5 days. However, it also freezes well for future use.