Warm weather is HERE! That means it’s time for seasonal favorites like green garlic! This Vegan Green Garlic Pesto brings the delicate flavor of young garlic into a creamy rich dairy free sauce perfect for an easy spring pasta recipe.
A Seasonal Favorite
That’s right. Not only is the weather getting warmer but the produce section of the grocery store or farmer’s market is beginning to expand as well! Spring produce here we come!
Green garlic is basically the tender shoots of garlic before it has developed the typical bulb. It looks similar in appearance to leeks or a large scallion. It has a milder flavor than regular garlic and is almost reminiscent of onion.
Look out for green garlic at farmer’s markets or order a CSA box from a local farmer and keep your fingers crossed. That’s how we were able to acquire ours. But if you are lucky, it can also be found at select grocery stores between the months of March – June.
This immature garlic can be enjoyed raw for a sharper flavor or it can be cooked which drastically mellows it’s flavor. For this vegan green garlic pesto, we used raw for a little more bite and a brighter green hue.
Dairy Free Pesto is the Besto!
Sorry, I couldn’t resist that one! But really, this vegan pesto is sure to delight.
Traditional pesto is heavy with parmesan cheese and therefore calories and fat. However, when it is substituted with nutritional yeast (aka “nooch”), you get all the cheesy flavor without the dairy or added pounds.
One thing that isn’t left out are the pine nuts. They bring richness and a buttery flavor that plays off the delicate green garlic splendidly. One suggestion would be to buy pine nuts in bulk. It can help to bring down the cost.
Super Quick and Easy to Make
This Vegan Green Garlic Pesto is not only flavorful it is also incredibly easy to make. In fact, it only requires 6 ingredients and can be made in under 10 minutes.
This is what you will need to make this simple pesto:
These 6 ingredients bring all the flavor but not of the guilt of traditional pesto. Yippee!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What can Green Garlic Pesto be used for?
- Lots! We love it on basic gluten-free pasta but it can also be used as a garnish on soup, a fabulous pizza sauce, or on a killer bruschetta. You can also just eat it smothered over a sliced baguette. Anything goes!
Is there a possible substitute for the Green Garlic?
- Yes. You can make a traditional vegan pesto with basil or switch things up with arugula, sun-dried tomato, or even dill. Any green or herb will work.
What if I don’t have nutritional yeast?
- It can be replaced with store-bought vegan parmesan or a cheese of your choosing.
Can the pine nuts be replaced with something else?
- Absolutely. You can switch them out for seeds like pepitas or sunflower seeds or any nut will also work. Think walnuts, almonds, or even pecans.
Vegan Green Garlic Pesto Is Calling Your Name…
If you can get ahold of this spring specialty, whip up a quick batch of Vegan Green Garlic Pesto. There is no better way to enjoy this seasonal delicacy. Enjoy!
An easy 6 ingredient seasonal plant-based pesto that’s bright and creamy. Perfect for pasta and so much more. This healthy vegan green garlic pesto screams spring.
4 Green Garlic (Chopped, including the leaves)
1 Tbsp Pine Nuts (Toasted)
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
¼ Cup + extra Olive Oil
- In a medium bowl, place the chopped green garlic. Cover the pieces with cool water and allow to sit while the pine nuts toast.
- In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat. Stir frequently until nicely browned and fragrant. Approx 3-4 minutes.
- Give the green garlic a stir in the water and then drain.
- Place the garlic into a food processor along with rest of the ingredients except the oil.
- Turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture.
- Stop when the pesto is very moist and the oil is fully incorporated.
- Scoop into a bowl and pour a small amount of oil over the top of the pesto to preserve and keep it from browning.
- Use in pasta or on appetizers, soups, salads, or dips and enjoy!
Keywords: Vegan Green Garlic Pesto
Check out some of these other Quick and Easy Homemade Pesto Recipes:
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!