A healthy and crunchy banh mi salad recipe featuring daikon radish, carrot, cucumber, tofu, and fresh cilantro. Best yet, this shredded daikon & tofu salad is topped with a spicy chili crisp dressing that is out of this world delicious.
A Banh Mi Salad with a Chili Crisp Dressing
We are big fans of banh mi but sometimes we like to enjoy all of the amazing flavor without the bread. Enter this awesome spicy daikon radish and tofu salad!
This salad is extra crunchy with a fun twist- a dressing made with spicy chili crisp. This oil-based condiment makes a terrific salad dressing with the addition of a few ingredients including vinegar. Trust us, you are gonna want to put this dressing on EVERY salad from now on!
Ingredient Spotlight: Daikon Radish
Daikon is a Chinese white radish that can be enjoyed cooked, pickled, or raw like in this salad recipe. It is sometimes referred to as winter radish and is long and tubular in shape.
Daikon is a versatile vegetable because it is mild in flavor (especially compared to the spiciness of a traditional red radish) and has a delicious crunch. For this reason, we recommend enjoying it either raw or quick pickled to preserve its crispiness.
If you can’t find daikon at your local grocery store, we suggest looking at an Asian market. It can usually be found year-round and it has a long shelf life when refrigerated.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Daikon Radish – Tender and mildly spicy, daikon is an amazing radish that is the star of this salad.
- Carrot – Crunchy and packed with nutrients, carrots match the texture of the daikon but add a beautiful pop of color.
- Cucumber – Fresh and crisp, cucumber brightens up each bite.
- Tofu – Protein packed and tender, tofu soaks up the dressing and makes each fork full delightful.
- Fresh Cilantro – Chopped cilantro adds an herby punch with a pleasant aroma.
- Green Onion – The slight heat of green onion compliments the mild radish making them a dynamic duo.
- Chili Crisp Dressing – Last but not least, this dressing can go with countless other recipes but adding it to this salad is an unbeatable combo.
FAQ & Spicy Daikon & Tofu Salad Tips:
Can I use soft or extra firm tofu instead?
- Yes. Any variety of tofu can be used for this recipe but just keep in mind that a softer tofu will break apart easier and may turn into crumbles on your salad instead.
What if I dislike cilantro?
- If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, we recommend using basil instead. Thai basil would be a great replacement if you can find it.
- Serve the Chili Crisp Dressing on the Side – Not only will this please your guests because they will have more control of the amount of oil added to their salad, it will also help preserve the crispiness of your leftovers (if you have any!).
- Add a Side of Crispy Bread – This will help to fill you up and also fully replicate a Bahn Mi Sandwich.
- Add a Bed of Fresh Greens – If you prefer a traditional salad, a bed of greens is always nice.
A Healthy Crunch
Eat your vegetables and enjoy them too with this crunchy daikon and tofu salad. Just don’t forget plenty of the spicy chili crisp dressing! 🌶 Enjoy!
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos:
We’d Love Your Feedback!
We love seeing when you share our recipes. Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this salad! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
A healthy vegan salad featuring daikon radish, tofu, carrot, cucumber, and fresh cilantro topped with a spicy chili crisp dressing.
- 1 Medium Daikon (Julienned)
- 2 Medium Carrots (Julienned)
- 2 Small Persian Cucumbers (Sliced)
- 3 Green Onions (Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
- 4 oz. Medium Firm Tofu (Cubed)
- Prepare the vegetables as directed above. Using a knife or a julienne peeler, julienne or very thinly slice the carrots and daikon radish and then cut into roughly 2-3 inch strips.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the daikon, carrot cucumber, green onion and cilantro until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients until incorporated completely.
- Add the tofu to the salad, being careful not to break it apart.
- Serve the salad onto plates and spoon on the dressing to taste (approx 1.5 tsp. per serving). Make sure to stir the dressing while serving to keep it incorporated.
- Top with extra sesame seeds, cilantro and green onion. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Spicy Daikon & Tofu Salad, Daikon Radish Salad Recipe, Easy Vegan Salad Recipe, Spicy Chili Crisp Salad Dressing