A rich and creamy Thai-style vegetable curry that also features crispy air fryer faux fish. Make this Vegan Banana Blossom Coconut Curry recipe for a complete plant-based meal that includes a healthy and fun seafood-free addition.
Although there are now an astounding number of vegan “meat” and “seafood” options at most grocery stores today, it’s usually healthier to stick to a more whole foods plant-based approach. Therefore, instead of purchasing a processed fish product, we love to use banana blossoms instead.
Banana blossoms can be enjoyed in countless vegan recipes including Vegan Banana Blossom Paella, Vegan “Seafood” Linguini, Vegan Seafood Jambalaya (with Banana Blossoms), or Vegan Blackened Banana Blossom “Fish.”
Additionally, banana blossoms are a great meal prep ingredient because they are canned. You can find them at most Asian grocery stores or they can also be purchased online.
A Rich & Creamy Plant-Based Curry
This spicy vegetable curry with banana blossom faux fish is what dreams are made of… lots of veggies- bell pepper, zucchini, and bok choy– delish! But then you also have the rich and creamy coconut milk, a perfect addition to this hot and spicy curry.
A vegetable heavy curry is one of the regulars in our household. It has tons of flavor and it can be adjusted easily depending on the vegetables on hand. However, when banana blossoms are added… it’s out of this world delicious.
The texture of the crispy air-fried blossom is a terrific contrast to the silky curry sauce. But the flaky banana blossom is also equally delicious even when it loses its crispiness. This is one addition you won’t want to skip!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Banana Blossom “Fish” – Banana blossoms coated in a mixture of spice and seaweed are air-fried to crispy perfection.
- Vegetables – Zucchini, bell peppers and bok choy pack this dish with nutrients and texture.
- Curry Paste and Grated Ginger – Complex curry paste gives a deep spicy flavor, while fresh grated ginger brightens up the dense paste.
- Coconut Milk – Dissolving the curry paste in coconut milk mellows the spiciness of the paste and creates a silky sauce.
- Fresh Garnish – Garnishing with fresh cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeño, scallions and lime adds freshness and compliments and wonderful curry flavor.
FAQ & Vegan Banana Blossom Coconut Curry Tips:
What if I can’t find canned banana blossoms?
- Another option is to use pre-made vegan fish filets that you can find frozen in most grocery stores. However, you can also purchase canned banana blossoms online as a convenient option.
Can another curry paste be used instead of red?
- Absolutely. This curry can also be made with green or massaman curry paste as well. Alternatively, you can also just dry spices if you are unable to purchase paste.
- We recommend adding the air-fried banana blossom “fish” filets just prior to plating. This will allow them to retain their crispy texture.
- Serve the curry over a bed of rice for a satisfying meal.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for freshness and to brighten the other flavors in this curry.
A Vegan Thai-Style Coconut Curry
The banana blossom “fish” filets truly are the star of this classic Thai-style vegetable curry. Trust us, once you try this unique addition, you will never want a plain veggie curry again. Enjoy!
We’d Love Your Feedback!
We love seeing when you share our recipes. Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this curry recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos:
Vegan banana blossom coconut curry ingredients.
Prepping the ingredients: Chopped bok choy, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and minced garlic on wood cutting boards.
Canned banana blossoms, drained and in a bowl ready to be seasoned with the dry spices.
Seasoned banana blossom “fish” filets in an air fryer.
Crispy air fryer banana blossom “fish” filets on a plate.
Cooking the zucchini, bell pepper, and diced onion in a large wok.
Grated ginger and red curry paste heating in the large wok until it becomes fragrant.
Curry paste and ginger simmering in coconut milk.
The cooked vegetables added to the curry sauce along with chopped bok choy wilting on top.
Vegan banana blossom coconut curry in a large wok.
Vegan banana blossom coconut curry with cilantro-lime rice on a plate garnished with chopped green onion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
A creamy vegetable Thai-style coconut curry featuring crispy air-fried vegan banana blossom “fish” filets in a silky irresistible sauce.
Banana Blossom “Fish” Filets:
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kelp Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 18 oz. Can Banana Blossoms
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Bell Peppers (Deseeded and Cut into Bite-sized Pieces.)
- 1 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 1 Zucchini (Halved Lengthwise and Sliced into 1/4 inch Pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Grated)
- 2 Tbsps Vegan Red Curry Paste
- 1 13.5 oz. Can Coconut Milk
- 3 Baby Bok Choy (Chopped)
- 1 Jalapeño (Sliced, Optional Garnish)
- 1 Lime (Cut into wedges, Optional Garnish)
- 2 Scallions (Sliced, Garnish)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped, Garnish)
- Add 2 tsp of oil to an air-fryer and preheat to 400°F. In a small bowl combine the cayenne pepper, kelp powder, turmeric and salt. Drain and rinse your banana blossoms. Coat the banana blossoms with the seasoning mix and carefully place them into the preheated air-fryer. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes. Check after 5 minutes for preferred doneness.
- While the banana blossoms cook, prepare the vegetables as directed above.
- Add 3 Tbsp of oil to a large skillet or wok. Over medium/high heat, add the peppers, onions and zucchini to the wok. Cook stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender but not overly cooked. Approx. 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
- Place the pan back on the stove over medium/high heat and place the curry paste and the grated ginger in the pan. Stir until fragrant. Approx. 1 minute. Next, pour the coconut milk into the pan and stir to combine until the curry paste has dissolved and it has come to a simmer. Approx. 3 minutes.
- Return the cooked vegetables to the pan with the curry sauce and allow to return to a simmer. Add the chopped bok choy and cover for 2 minutes to wilt. Stir to incorporate.
- Place the cooked banana blossoms on top and garnish with scallions, sliced jalapeño and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with rice and lime wedges. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Fish Curry Recipe, Vegan Banana Blossom Fish Curry, Banana Blossom Recipe, Vegan Thai Coconut Curry