An irresistible stuffed mushroom recipe that features homemade cashew liquid mozzarella cheese. These Vegan Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms are bound to please everyone at your next party or family gathering!
A Mouth-Watering Plant-based Appetizer
Stuffed mushroom caps are one of the best appetizers for serving at a small gathering or a big event. They are easy to eat while standing and they can be enjoyed hot, warm, or even cold.
However, typically not everyone is able to partake in this savory app– but not anymore! These stuffed mushrooms are topped with a dairy-free mozzarella cheese made from cashews and filled with healthy chopped vegetables and breadcrumbs. They can even be prepared gluten-free if needed! Yep, almost everyone can enjoy this bite-sized snack!
Vegan Cheese Please!
The key ingredient for these little flavor bombs is the homemade vegan liquid mozzarella cheese poured on top. It becomes brown and bubbly and adds irresistible saltiness.
Alternatively, store-bought mozzarella or parmesan cheese can also be used for this recipe. However, once you try these with the liquid mozzarella, chances are, you won’t want to make them any other way!
The BEST Method for Preparing Stuffed Mushrooms
Although the liquid mozzarella is key, one other element truly puts these stuffed mushrooms over the top– preparing them in an air fryer.
The air fryer allows the mushrooms to retain moisture while providing a crispy exterior for the ultimate mouth experience. Yep, once you pop one of these little bad boys in your mouth, the difference will be clear. Air frying is the way to go!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – These mushrooms transform into amazing boats of flavor when turned upside down and stuffed.
- Bell Pepper, Onion & Garlic – This amazing trio gives the mushroom filling additional flavor and a healthy bonus.
- Breadcrumbs – After this recipe, you won’t look at ordinary breadcrumbs the same way.
- Herbs – Basil, oregano and red pepper flakes amplify the filling to the next level.
- Vegan Liquid Mozzarella Cheese – Topping these flavor bombs with liquid mozzarella, creates the most amazing crispy coating.
- Optional Ingredients – Not necessary but recommended! Jalapeño gives these mushrooms a kick and a garnish of fresh parsley provides the final dish with herby freshness.
FAQ & Air Fryer Vegan Stuffed Mushroom Tips:
Can these mushrooms be made gluten-free?
- Absolutely. Simply use gluten-free breadcrumbs and you are all set.
Can you make this recipe in advance?
- Yes. This recipe can be prepared a day or two early and refrigerated. Then, simply top them with the cheese and air fry them on the day they are to be enjoyed. Additionally, they can also be frozen before cooking for up to three months.
Be careful when adding the cheese
- The liquid mozzarella will delight but it can be a little messy to work with. We suggest adding the cheese while the mushrooms are on a plate to minimize cleanup.
Mix It Up
Try using other vegetables for the stuffing
- Zucchini or eggplant would also work great for this recipe.
Experiment with the dried herbs
- Try fennel and minced garlic for a pizza flavored bite, or try Everything Bagel seasoning for a unique brunch appetizer.
If you are looking for a plant-based appetizer, side or snack, look no further than these small bites of pure bliss. Just be sure prepare plenty because they are bound to disappear quickly. Enjoy!
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos
We’d Love Your Feedback!
We love seeing when you share our recipes. Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this stuffed mushroom recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Air Fryer Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 30 min.
- Total Time: 40 min.
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
An irresistible stuffed mushroom recipe featuring homemade liquid mozzarella– these Vegan Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms will delight all!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms (Stems Removed and Saved)
- 1 Medium Onion (Small Diced)
- 1 Small Red Pepper (Small Diced)
- 1 Jalapeño (Deseeded and Small Diced) (Optional)
- 3/4 Cup BreadCrumb
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tsp Dry Basil
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Mozzarella (Try this recipe for Homemade Vegan Liquid Mozzarella!)
- Fresh Parsley (Optional Garnish)
- Prepare the ingredients as directed above.
- In a medium frying pan add the oil and set over medium heat. Add the diced peppers and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the peppers and onions cook, finely chop the saved mushroom stems. Add the chopped stems to the frying pan with the pepper and onion mixture and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Next add the breadcrumb, spices and minced garlic and stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and continue to stir until the liquid has absorbed or evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Using a spoon, fill the mushroom caps with the breadcrumb mixture (see picture).
- Spoon a small amount of liquid mozzarella onto each stuffed mushroom. Carefully place them into the air fryer and allow to cook for 20 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and then keep a close eye, checking periodically until they are adequately browned on top.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Depending on the size of mushrooms used, you may have extra filling. If so, it can be enjoyed as a simple side dish or even added over greens for a hearty salad topper.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms, Vegan Stuffed Mushroom Recipe, Vegan Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms