A gorgeous cocktail with the perfect balance of sweet and tart, this easy to make Meyer Lemon New York Sour is sure to wow!
Beautiful and Balanced
A whiskey sour is a classic cocktail that is a popular drink to order at most bars. The natural sweetness of bourbon offsets the tangy and tart sour mix for a delightful drink to sip.
This drink further improves the balance with the delightful addition of dry red wine that replaces the traditional egg white with a colorful addition that also happens to make it vegan friendly. Just be sure to check that your wine is certified vegan if needed.
Ingredient Spotlight: Meyer Lemons
Meyer lemons taste very similar to traditional lemons but they have a sweeter taste with a floral essence. Additionally, they have a lower acidity and are not as bitter as a regular lemon.
Although Meyer lemons aren’t as readily available as traditional lemons because they don’t travel as well (due to their thin skin), they are available in the winter months at some specialty and organic markets. Keep an eye out for fresh Meyer lemons from December through May.
All-in-all, if you get your hands on this special lemon, you deserve a cocktail!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Bourbon – The earthy and caramel notes of bourbon are amazing alone but are great when paired with zesty lemon.
- Meyer Lemon – The sweeter, more floral cousin of a traditional lemon.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup is nature’s gift with its deep vanilla flavor and is the perfect sweetener for any bourbon drink.
- Red Wine – Dry red wine floating on top of this drink gives contrast to the sweet bourbon drink underneath.
FAQ & Meyer Lemon New York Sour Tips:
Can I use another citrus fruit instead of Meyer lemons?
- Yes. Any type of citrus will work for this cocktail. Even think outside the box with grapefruit, tangerine, or of course regular lemons or limes.
What type of red wine is best for a New York Sour?
- Dry red wines work best for this drink. They give a nice contrast to the sweetness of the bourbon and maple syrup. We suggest using merlot or Cabernet sauvignon.
Tip: Add the wine slowly
- This drink looks best with the red wine floating on top. Therefore, we recommend slowly pouring it into your drink on the back of a spoon which will ensure that the wine floats on the top of the cocktail.
Make this drink a New York speciality!
Impress Your Guests!
Don’t wait any longer… you need this incredible cocktail in your life and we don’t say that lightly. This stunning cocktail truly tastes as good as it looks! Cheers.
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos:
We’d Love Your Feedback!
We love seeing when you share our recipes! Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this Meyer Lemon New York Sour cocktail! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
A gorgeous not-to-sweet cocktail that also happens to be vegan friendly. This Meyer Lemon New York Sour is easy to make and sip!
- 4 oz. Bourbon
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Meyer Lemon (Juice)
- 1.5 oz. Dry Red Wine
- Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 of the way with ice cubes.
- Pour the bourbon and maple syrup into the cocktail shaker followed by the juice of the lemon.
- Cover and shake until very cold. Strain evenly between two ice filled glasses.
- Slowly pour a small amount of wine over the back of a spoon onto each drink.
- Serve with a twist of lemon peel and enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Meyer Lemon New York Sour, New York Sour Recipe, Vegan Sour Recipe