This 5-minute vegan white cheddar cheese sauce is bright, creamy, and has just the right amount of tanginess. It’s also easy to make and perfect for sandwiches, wraps, pizza, or just for snacking!
Vegan Cheese, Please!
We have shared no shortage of plant-based cheeses over the years. Some of our personal favorites that we make often include Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese, The Best Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce, or our recent obsession, Vegan Fresh Mozzarella.
You might say we enjoy cheese! But this Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce is something completely new. It actually has the sharpness or bite of real cheese and we don’t say that lightly because Steve grew up in upstate NY and routinely enjoyed XXX sharp cheddar cheese! This cheese is DELICIOUS. Period.
Additionally, this cheese sauce can be used in a variety of ways. For example, we love to eat it with crackers or make fresh vegetable stackers, but it’s also fantastic spread over a veggie burger or dolloped on a pizza. Basically, you really can’t go wrong with this scrumptious cashew-based white cheddar cheese!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Cashews – The soaked or boiled nuts are blended into a creamy and dreamy texture which is the base for the “cheese.”
- Nutritional Yeast – The nooch brings the delicious cheesy flavor.
- Dijon Mustard – This provides the bite or sharpness in this cashew cheese.
- Miso Paste – The Japanese soybean paste adds necessary salt along with a deep umami flavor.
- Onion Powder – Additional flavor! Just a smidge of onion brings out an even more bite.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The acid in the vinegar brightens this cheddar cheese sauce and also balances all of the yummy flavors.
FAQ & Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Tips:
How is white cheddar different from traditional cheddar cheese?
- They actually aren’t different at all! The only difference is the color because in America, orange food coloring (usually annatto) is typically added to cheddar. But because our cheese sauce is naturally white, we refer to it as white cheddar. However, you can use this sauce anywhere you would normally use traditional cheddar cheese.
What causes the sharpness in cheddar cheese?
- Traditionally it is due to how long a cheese is aged, but to give our dairy-free cheese a similar bite we added mustard and onion powder. No need to wait 14 months!
Can this cheese be made with another nut rather than cashews?
- Yup! We prefer the creaminess that cashews bring to this cheese sauce but you can substitute them for another nut such as almonds or walnuts.
Go for Dijon rather than traditional mustard.
- We highly recommend Dijon because it has a more intense and complex flavor. Therefore, the mustard helps to replicate the sharpness in typical cheese. However, when you are in a pinch, typical mustard can also be used.
A Healthy Dairy Free “Cheese!”
If you were (or still are!) a big fan of cheese, you MUST try this Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce. It’s distinctive flavor explodes in your mouth for pure cheesy bliss. But best yet, it’s packed with nutritious cashews, no cows needed!
Finally, if you have made this white cheddar cheese, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ We would love your feedback!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. Thanks so much! Happy blending and enjoy! 😄
A bright and tangy plant-based cheese made from cashews. This Vegan White Cheddar Sauce is perfect for sandwiches, veggie burgers, pizza, or just for snacking!
- Boil the nuts in a sauce pan with enough water to cover nuts by 1 inch. Allow to boil for 10 minutes and then drain or soak them overnight.
- Place the cooked nuts in a high speed blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend on high until very smooth. About 1 minute.
- Enjoy as a spread or as a topping for sandwiches. Enjoy!
- Leftover cheese can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Cheddar Cheese, Cashew Cheese, Cheese Sauce, Easy