A luscious dairy free cheese that is made with only 6 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes! This Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese is easy to make and perfect for countless recipes or enjoyed on it’s own.
A Dairy Free Cheese Made at Home
We have shared many vegan cheeses over the years but often they are packed with flavor and enjoyed on their own. Such as our Lavender Earl Grey Vegan Cheese, Olive Artichoke Cashew “Cheese” Ball, or this Brazil Nut Espresso Cheese.
However, even though we typically always make our own dairy free cheese from scratch, we thought the recipes might be too simple to share. But you know what? Sometimes simple and versatile recipes are the BEST recipes to share!
This Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese can be enjoyed on its own over bread with a sprinkle of fresh basil or it can be used for any delicious Italian recipe that calls for traditional ricotta cheese. Yes, please!
Only 6 Ingredients Needed
You only need 6 ingredients to make this vegan ricotta cheese.
- Tofu – Extra firm tofu works best to mimic the real texture of ricotta. It also needs to be drained and pressed to remove as much of the water as possible before blending.
- Nutritional Yeast – This is the key ingredient to make your “cheese” actually taste cheesy. This healthy vegan staple is a great seasoning for everything from popcorn to pasta.
- Olive Oil – The oil brings necessary fat and provides flavor. It also helps to bring a creaminess to the ricotta so it feels like the real deal in your mouth.
- Lemon Juice – This provides a tanginess to the cheese. You don’t need much but it is absolutely necessary for this vegan ricotta.
- Miso Paste – This is our secret ingredient. Miso brings rich umami flavor and enhances the savory taste of this ricotta. It is an optional ingredient but we highly recommend it!
- Salt – Cheese is naturally salty. This brings the needed saltiness to replicate real cheese.
How to Use Vegan Ricotta Cheese
This ricotta is sure to become a versatile dairy-free favorite. Here are some of our favorite uses for this Simple Vegan Ricotta:
- Vegan Herbed Ricotta Pizza
- Vegan Baked Ricotta with Roasted Squash (You can either use raw cashews like in this recipe or substitute them for the tofu. Either works.)
- Vegan Panelle Special
However, if you are looking for a fun seasonal recipe, simply swap out the white bean hummus in these Vegan Stuffed Squash Blossoms for the Vegan Ricotta. Yum, yum, yum!
Of course, there are countless other ways that you can use this ricotta. Please add a comment to this recipe or tag us @meatlessmakeovers on Instagram with your own fun creations!
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips:
What are the best uses for vegan ricotta?
- Where to start?! There are so many great ways to use this dairy-free cheese. It is terrific for vegetable lasagna, creamy pasta, or eggplant rollatini. But it can also just be used as a dip or condiment for bread, crackers, or even veggies. If you are using it as a dip, you may want to add cracked pepper or fresh herbs for extra zip.
Is this cheese gluten-free?
- Absolutely. This “cheese” is not only dairy-free but it is also nut-free and gluten-free.
How long will it keep?
- This ricotta will keep in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days or it can be frozen for about 3-4 months.
Additional Flavor Variations
- Depending on how you plan to use your ricotta, you may want to incorporate other flavors. Fresh basil is delightful if you plan to use it for a homemade pizza or you can add red pepper flakes for a little kick. Truly any herb or seasoning can be incorporated into this basic tofu ricotta.
Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese
Miss cheese?! There is no need to go without. Try this Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese today and enjoy every last creamy bite!
It’s so easy to make your own dairy-free ricotta cheese at home. This vegan “cheese” only requires 6 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. It’s creamy, smooth, and absolutely satisfying!
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Miso Paste(Optional)
Keywords: Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese
Cheese Lovers Unite! Here are additional dairy-free “cheese” recipes you may want to check out…
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!