Spring’s here! Oh, but wait. It still feels like winter in New York. Ahhhhh!!! But in the meantime, while we’re waiting for the weather to match the season, we can have a big bowl of rich and creamy Vegan 3-Cheese Grits!
Grits are one of those pure comfort foods. I will never forget the first time I had them thanks to a good friend from New Orleans preparing them for a memorable breakfast. Warm and filling, they are spectacular for breakfast or honestly, they are incredible any time of day or season.
But these Vegan 3-Cheese Grits are just over the top amazing. That’s right! 3 Cheese- dairy free cheese that is! Here are the varieties that take these grits to a new height…
Take me away!!!! Did I say this was pure decadent bliss?!
Now these grits are protein rich all on their own thanks to the smorgasbord of nut “cheese” mixed in and sprinkled on top. But to really make this a meal, we added a sauté of colorful carrots, shallots, and garlic.
Then, we garnished with pea shoots for a fresh crunch that also brings a promise of spring, even if it’s chilly outside. Nothing’s better than breakfast for dinner!
If you are still feeling that winter chill, get ready for spring with these incredible Vegan 3-Cheese Grits. Not only will they leave you full and satisfied but they will also bring hopes of the warm weather to come. Fingers crossed and enjoy!
- Cheese Sauce:
- 1 Cup Veggie Broth
- 1 Cup Pistachios (Soaked or Boiled, see below)
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1 Clove Garlic (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Cup Dry Grits (Or polenta)
- 3 Cups Veggie Broth
- 1 Clove Garlic (Peeled and Minced)
- 5 Shallots (Peeled and Sliced Thin)
- 3 Medium Carrots (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Sliceable Vegan Cheese Recipe (cubed)
- Vegan Parmesan
- Pea shoots (or another green can also be used)
- Soak the pistachios overnight. Be sure to completely submerge them in water. However, if you do not have time to soak the nuts, they can also be boiled for 10 minutes over med-high heat.
- Prepare the fresh vegetables as directed above.
- Drain the nuts and place them into a high speed blender along with the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients (see above). Blend until very smooth and set aside.
- In a deep frying pan coated with a little oil, sauté the shallots, garlic and carrots over med-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, bring 3 cups of broth to a boil, then add the grits immediately. Stir constantly until the broth has absorbed.
- Next, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of pistachio cheese sauce as well as about half of the cubed sliceable cheese recipe or as much as desired.
- Portion into bowls and top with the carrot mixture, pea shoots, and vegan Parmesan.
- Serve immediately while warm and ENJOY!