If you have never tried cashew cheese before, you don’t know what you’re missing. We honestly thought it was going to be very difficult to give up cheese when we decided we wanted to go plant-based. However, having this special treat made the transition quite easy actually. Now don’t get us wrong, this will not taste like spicy sharp cheddar but it will be one of the creamiest and smoothest “cheeses” you have ever had. Then it finishes with a perfect sharp bite of crushed red pepper. This cashew cheese is simply fantastic.
We would suggest that you process the cheese very well, preferably with a high-quality food processor or blender. We recently broke down and had to get ourselves a shared Christmas gift for the household that we had been eyeing and ogling for a very long time…a Vitamix. We were not disappointed. When we made this cashew cheese prior, it was good but not great. Then we made it in the Vitamix. I firmly believe all of those five star reviews now because it brought this cheese to a completely new level- extra smooth and creamy. But regardless if you have a Vitamix or not, you will not be disappointed with this decadent red pepper cashew cheese. We plan on serving it as an appetizer to my cheese loving family this holiday season. I’m willing to bet they will be surprised and hopefully impressed by this creamy cashew treat. We hope you feel the same.
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 tsp Tapioca Flour
- 1-2 Dried Hot Red Peppers
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ cup Water for Processor
- 2 tsp Agar Powder
- ¾ cup Water for Agar
- Soak the cashews overnight in water and make sure they are completely covered. If you do not have that much time you can boil cashews for 10 minutes as well.
- When you are ready to start the recipe, put agar powder and ¾ cup water in a sauce pan and set aside.
- Drain the cashews and put them into a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blend for several minutes until very smooth.
- When cheese is smooth pour into the sauce pan over medium heat. Stirring constantly while bringing to a simmer. Keep stirring until the cheese is the consistency of a thick batter.
- Quickly transfer to a ramekin that is lightly coated with oil. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon to level the cheese and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove from the ramekin and serve with your favorite crackers or fresh cut veggies.