Homemade vegan fresh mozzarella that melts in your mouth with stretchy satisfaction. This tangy plant-based cheese is made from cashews and can be ready in 15 minutes. Best yet, this versatile mozzarella can be used in a multitude of recipes!
CREAMY DAIRY FREE CHEESE
Oh-my-goodness! After countless trials and experiments, we have finally found a vegan cheese that is just like fresh mozzarella. The wait was worth it!
This “cheese” is tangy, creamy, and just plain delicious. Furthermore, it is made with just 5 simple ingredients and keeps remarkably well so you can enjoy this vegan mozzarella in a variety of recipes throughout the week.
Best yet, it’s affordable. No need to spend your hard earned money on expensive store-bought vegan cheese- just make your own!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Raw Cashews –The raw cashews will provide richness to your cheese. Additionally, they bring protein, fiber, and healthy fats which is important for brain and bone health.
- Tapioca Starch – This is the binder for your cheese which allows your mozzarella to take the shape of a ball or whatever container is used for cooling.
- Nutritional Yeast – The “nooch” will bring a cheesy dryness. It is the key ingredient needed to mimic a real cheese taste.
- Salt – Cheese needs salt and lots of it. It provides flavor and brings out the cheesiness of the nutritional yeast.
- Lemon – This provides the tanginess in the mozzarella and necessary brightness.
FAQ & VEGAN FRESH MOZZARELLA TIPS:
IS THIS GLUTEN-FREE?
- Yes. This “cheese” is free from gluten, dairy, and soy.
WILL THIS FOOL MY ITALIAN UNCLE?
- Probably not. However, if you haven’t had cheese in a while, it tastes exactly like the real thing!
CAN I SLICE IT FOR A SANDWICH?
- Yes! The cheese is very soft and pillowy but it can be sliced with a sharp knife.
DOES IT MELT LIKE TRADITIONAL MOZZARELLA?
- Not exactly. It can be dolloped on pizza or pasta but it won’t flatten like typical cheese. It will brown if it is cooked but we actually prefer to have it fresh.
COOLING THE “CHEESE”
- We recommend cooling the cheese in various containers because it does make quite a bit and then it is easier to divide it later for multiple recipes.
- Layer a thin amount of olive oil in your cooling containers. This will allow the cheese to come right out without sticking.
Fresh, tangy vegan mozzarella cheese made with only 5 ingredients. This easy plant-based cheese is perfect for pizza, salads, and so much more!
- Soak the raw cashews overnight or boil them for 10 minutes.
- Coat with a thin layer of oil in each of your molds. (We typically use 2 but more can also be used for smaller portions.)
- Place the drained nuts into a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high for 1 minute or until smooth with no visible cashew pieces.
- Pour the smooth mixture into a high sided skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens. Approx. 3 minutes.
- Transfer the thick cheese into a the molds and tap out any air bubbles. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Enjoy as you would fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in airtight containers for up to a week.
- If you are eating it fresh, we recommend a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, fresh chopped herbs, or served with sliced tomato.
Keywords: Vegan Fresh Mozzarella
Additional Homemade Vegan Cheese Recipes
If you enjoy this vegan fresh mozzarella, please check out some of our other favorite plant-based cheese recipes.