You won’t believe how authentic this buffalo “chicken” patty recipe compares to the real thing. Best yet, these Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers are easy to make and won’t fall apart when grilled. Spicy, satisfying, and completely plant-based!
Vegan Buffalo “Chicken”
No, these aren’t real chicken but boy-oh-boy will these jackfruit burgers fool you! First, not only do they have the texture of real chicken burgers but they are also seasoned with spicy buffalo sauce. Move over fast food!
Jackfruit is the ideal ingredient for replicating meat. It naturally pulls apart and you can season it any way you choose! Also, it’s delicious!
What You Will Need:
- Jackfruit – You will need 2 cans of young jackfruit in brine. It will need to be cut/pulled apart to mimic the consistency of real chicken.
- Garbanzo Bean (or Chickpea) Flour – A versatile flour that acts as a binder for these “burgers.” Additionally it provides necessary protein for this tasty meal.
- Buffalo Hot Sauce – Our favorite buffalo sauce is Frank’s Red Hot. It has a spicy, vinegary flavor that brings the heat but isn’t overwhelming.
- Onion – Chopped onion brings out the flavor in the buffalo jackfruit.
- Garlic – The garlic brings a slight sweetness with a deliciously pungent aroma. Feel free to use extra garlic if you please.
- Spices – Onion and garlic powder along with salt and pepper will bring a little zip and round out the flavor in the spicy sandwich.
- Vegan Blue Cheese Sauce – There is nothing better than a cooling drizzle on a spicy burger. Try this homemade recipe of The Best Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing, for a perfect pairing. Optional, but so worth it!
- Toppings – Anything that you would normally put on a chicken burger. We like onion, tomato, and arugula. Something fresh to contrast the spicy jackfruit burger.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you grill these burgers?
- Absolutely. These faux chicken patties are surprisingly dense due to the chickpea flour. They don’t fall apart like some veggie burgers tend to do. They can either be prepared on the grill or made indoors on a grill pan or frying pan. Just be sure to coat the burgers with little olive oil if you are grilling them so they don’t stick.
Are they gluten-free?
- Yup, the jackfruit burgers are gluten-free. Just be sure to get a gluten-free bun or serve the patty over a grain or bed of lettuce for a lower carb option.
Do the jackfruit burgers keep well?
- Yes, they reheat very well. You can refrigerate the patties for up to 5 days or you can also freeze them for up to 3 months. But chances are, they won’t last that long!
Recommended Cooking Tips:
Give your “blue cheese” time.
- If you are making the homemade vegan blue cheese dressing, we recommended making it the day before. The dressing actually is more flavorful after it has had time to sit.
Spice is always nice.
- Add extra Frank’s Red Hot to your burger when serving it with the blue cheese dressing for a little extra kick.
Adjust the patty size, if needed!
- We made extra-large patties. However, if you have a larger family to feed, this recipe can easily make 6 traditional sized burgers or up to 12 sliders.
Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers!
If you are tired of plain ol’ veggie burgers, you MUST try these Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers. Their flavor and texture resembles real chicken but they are made entirely of plants and you know exactly what’s inside. Bring this healthy option to your next BBQ and surprise vegans and meat-eaters alike!
Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 burgers 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Sauté, Blend, Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A spicy plant-based “chicken” burger that’s perfect for grilling. These homemade Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers are easy and delicious!
- 2 20 oz. Cans Young Jackfruit (Drained and Shredded)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- ¼ Cup Frank’s Red Hot
- 2/3 Cup Garbanzo Bean Flour (also known as Chickpea Flour)
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Hamburger Buns (GF if Needed)
- The Best Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 Cup Arugula
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Extra Hot Sauce
- Prepare ingredients as directed above.
- In a deep skillet coated with a small amount of oil, sauté the onion over medium heat. Stir frequently until fragrant. Approx. 2 minutes.
- Next, add the shredded jackfruit and garlic. Continue to cook and stir occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add the hot sauce to the skillet and incorporate. Remove from heat.
- Allow the sauté to cool slightly and add it to a food processor, followed by the rest of the burger ingredients.
- Pulse until mixed well (a few chunk may still be seen). Transfer to a bowl.
- Form your burgers. This recipe will make 4 extra-large burgers or approximately 6 traditional sized patties.
- Using a grill pan or a grill, cook the burgers on both sides until nicely browned.
- Place the jackfruit burgers on the hamburger buns and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers
Here are some other Summer Grilling Recipes, you may want to check out:
Peppercorn Brined Portobellos
Vegan Bánh Mì Carrot Hot Dogs
Grilled Jalapeno Polenta Bites
Tempeh and Mushroom Yakitori Skewers
Grilled Zucchini Wraps
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
5 thoughts on “Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Burgers”
Can’t wait to try this, it’s on the menu for this week!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Please let us know what you think. 🙂
The whole family loved them and honestly the texture was better in the jackfruit version (I tried to trick them with making a chicken version;)! So delicious!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed them!!