Are you ready for Cinco de Mayo? I love Mexican food, but I may love the drinks even more than the food! There is nothing better than a sweet and sour combination and margaritas have the added bonus of salt and of course tequila. This Fresh Chipotle Papaya Margarita fits that bill but with an exotic flair.
We used to splurge and go out for margaritas or even a bulldog (more on that in the future…!) from time to time, but then we discovered we can easily make them at home for a fraction of the cost.
In fact, it has minimal ingredients that can usually be found for a very reasonable price. Well, unless you are in Paris, then limes tend to be a little more expensive…. We learned that the hard way. But I wouldn’t change that memory for anything, because who goes to Paris to see one of their best friends and ends up drinking Margaritas instead of wine! You can tell I really do love margaritas!
However, the added bonus of making them at home is really how much healthier they are. I was recently at the grocery store and looked at the label of a ‘margarita mix’—it had 26 grams of sugar per serving not to even mention the long list of ingredients which included preservatives. You can make them at home with REAL food with a fraction of the sugar.
But the best part of making them at home… they are perfect for serving to a large group of people or even just a couple friends. You can easily make a pitcher and actually sit and have a drink with your guests rather than being stuck making drinks the entire night. It is also very easy to make a basic lime version and then just have a selection of different fresh fruit on hand so people can customize their own drink if desired or even the level of spice.
We love anything spicy but we also love the contrast of a sweet and subtle fruit pairing. Plus, what is prettier than a freshly cut papaya?! I’m sure your guests will agree. And then they will taste this spectacular drink. First, the spicy salt will hit your tongue, followed by the fresh and cooling papaya. Then, you will have the lingering of smoky chipotle as your finishing taste. So good! But don’t just believe me, try for yourself!
So, whether you are going to throw a crazy Cinco de Mayo party or just have a girlfriend over for a drink in the hot dog days of summer, you really can’t go wrong with this easy and fresh chipotle papaya margarita. We love to try new and fun combinations like this version but you can also settle for a classic lime version and just leave out the papaya and chipotle pepper. Whatever way you make it, it will blow those ‘margarita mixes’ out of the water and you will never look back. We definitely haven’t.
- 12-15 Fresh Limes (Juiced)
- ½ cup Agave Nectar
- 1-2 Spicy Peppers (Depending on your Tolerance)
- ½ Medium Fresh Papaya
- 1 Cup Tequila
- Coarse Sea Salt (Rim)
- Chipotle Pepper (Rim)
- Juice the limes. It is a lot of work but it is worth it. Set juice aside.
- Remove the stem from the pepper and cut it in half. Place it in a cocktail shaker.
- Peel and remove the seeds from the half of papaya. Cut it into chunks and place it into the cocktail shaker as well.
- Muddle the papaya and peppers very well. Make sure everything is well incorporated. Strain the contents of the cocktail shaker in a fine mesh strainer or a nut milk bag. Saving all the juice.
- In a large pitcher pour the lime juice, papaya pepper juice, agave nectar and tequila.
- Combine the salt and chipotle pepper in a shallow plate. Rub a used lime wedge around each glass then dip the rim into the salt combination to create the flavored rim.
- Place 2-3 ice cubes in each glass. Stir the margarita mixture and fill each glass with it.