Sometimes you just need a creamy sauce. This vegan Rosemary & Caramelized Onion Cream Sauce is the ultimate comfort food and it’s perfect for a Fall pasta and so much more!
A Rich Nut-Based Cream Sauce
We initially thought that when we fully adopted a plant-based diet, we would no longer be able to indulge in thick and creamy sauces. Boy, were we wrong!
Nut-based sauce is JUST as decadent as a traditional cream sauce. Plus, nuts provide an extra level of robust and satisfying flavor. For this sauce, we use raw cashews, but feel free to experiment with other nuts as well.
Fall Comfort Food
Just look at this Rosemary & Caramelized Onion Cream Sauce- it’s spilling over with comforting and warming goodness! Therefore, it’s absolutely perfect for Autumn, especially when poured over this homemade Gluten-Free Toasted Pumpkin Gnocchi recipe! But honestly, it’s good any time of year!
The caramelized onions give the sauce a nice sweet note up front. The slow cooked onion just pairs so well with the piney fresh rosemary. Then, you have the thick and creaming cashews which add pure filling satisfaction. All-in-all, this dairy-free sauce is bursting with flavor. Enjoy!
This delicious vegan Rosemary & Caramelized Onion Cream Sauce is packed with flavor. It’s easy to make and a perfect topping for pizza, pasta, roasted vegetables, and more!
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews (Soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary (Minced)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 2 Red Onions (Peeled, Halved and Sliced Thin)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock (Approximately)
- Soak the cashew for about 8 hours or boil them for 10 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- In a skillet coated with olive oil, sauté the onion over medium/low heat for 30-40 minutes or until caramelized. After 20 minutes, add the minced fresh rosemary. Stir frequently and season with salt and black pepper to taste. The onions will brown and reduce drastically.
- Next, add the cooked caramelized onion with rosemary, drained cashews, Nutritional Yeast, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flake and Sea salt to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes slowly adding vegetable stock until sauce is smooth and liquified.
- Add the sauce to a sauce pan, over medium-heat. Stir frequently until sauce begins to thicken. Add additional fresh rosemary, if desired.
- Serve over pasta, use as a dip, or bake with veggies in a pasta bake. The possibilities are endless! Enjoy!
- Leftover sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Rosemary Cream Sauce, Caramelized Onions, Vegan Sauce, Cashew Sauce, Fall
Finally, if you have made this vegan cream sauce recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy blending! 😊