This is the best no salt guacamole recipe! This Spicy Chunky Homemade Guacamole is simple to make and it’s made with easy to find whole food ingredients with no salt needed. Perfect for tacos, nachos, burritos and so much more!
A Healthy Homemade Guacamole
We simply love Mexican food. In fact, we have previously posted recipes for Vegan Jackfruit Skillet Nachos, Salt & Pepper Shiitake Tacos, as well as Easy No Salt Taco Seasoning.
However, no matter what Mexican dish we make, we always have to add a little avocado. In fact, it is a lifelong dream of ours to one day have an avocado tree, wishful thinking in Brooklyn… but until that day, we will have to settle for buying avocados in bulk because it’s definitely cheaper that way!
Above all, guacamole is a staple in our home. But we realized, we have never shared our favorite guacamole recipe. Until now!
This quick and easy condiment is made with only natural ingredients and in fact, there’s no salt added. Consequently, it’s so much better for you than store-bought guacamole with lots of preservatives.
In addition, purchased guac always looks like green mush for some reason, but not this recipe! In fact, you can see the ingredients. Crazy, right?! 😉 It’s filled with big chunks of avocado, tomato, shallot, and even jalapeño because this guac has some heat! This is one recipe we make often and we hope you do too!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Avocado – A guacamole essential. The avocados should be ripe meaning they are dark in color and yield to gentle pressure but not mushy.
- Tomato – Plum tomatoes tend to be our choice, but any smaller tomato will work.
- Shallot – The shallots provide a mild onion flavor to the guacamole without being overwhelming.
- Garlic – Finely chopped garlic cloves add additional flavor with a touch of spice.
- Jalapeño – This pepper can vary significantly in heat. Typically they are mild, but periodically you will get a spicy one. Often if it has white lines, it will be spicier.
- Cilantro – This herb adds brightness and freshness to the guacamole. We recommend chopping it extra finely so it easily clings onto the other large chunks.
- Lime – A squeeze of fresh lime brings tangy flavor and it helps to preserve the beautiful green color of the avocados.
- Spices – The optional cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper add extra heat to this spicy condiment.
FAQ & Spicy Chunky Homemade Guacamole Tips:
Is homemade guacamole healthy?
- Yes. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, which helps to boost brain functioning. It can even help to lower one’s risk of heart disease or stroke.
Why does guacamole turn brown so quickly?
- When avocados are exposed to air, a chemical reaction occurs. Compounds in their flesh are reacting with oxygen along with the help of enzymes to produce brown pigments called melanin. It doesn’t indicate that an avocado is spoiled or bad and it is still safe to eat.
Mixing the Guac.
We recommend first cutting the avocado into cubes in the shell and then spooning it into a bowl. Use a fork to mash the pieces slightly. Then, squeeze the lime juice over the avocado to minimize browning. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix with the fork.
Storing Extra Guacamole.
- Leftover guacamole is best stored in an airtight container with either a thin layer of plastic wrap pressed down over the guac to remove any air bubbles or you can add a half inch of water so it covers the surface completely. The key is to make sure there are no air pockets which will cause the guacamole to brown. Additionally, it can also be frozen.
Spicy, Chunky, and Oh-So-Good!
Never buy guacamole again. This simple recipe is so much healthier and has loads more flavor than anything in a store. In fact, we may need to make another batch now…! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Finally, if you have made this guacamole recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy mashing! 😄
Spicy Chunky Homemade Guacamole
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: 10 min.
- Yield: 1 1/2 Cups
- Category: Condiment, Dip
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Low Salt
A quick homemade recipe for guacamole that is salt-free and extra spicy and chunky. This is one healthy and versatile plant-based condiment!
1 Small Tomato (Diced Small)
1 Jalapeño (Diced Small)
2 Shallots or 1 Small Onion (Diced Small)
1/4 Cup Cilantro (Chopped)
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1/2 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flake
2 Avocados (Scooped Out with Pits Removed)
1 Lime (Juice)
- Prepare all produce as directed above. Wait to cut the avocados until the end to reduce browning.
- Place the avocado in a bowl and smash it with a fork.
- Add the lime juice to the avocado immediately and stir to coat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican entrees or with tortilla chips for an appetizer.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Spicy Chunky Guacamole Recipe, No Salt Guacamole