A sweet homemade preservative free juice that easily turns into a fruity cocktail. This Spiked Strawberry-Rhubarb Kompot is delightful for sipping on a warm spring or summer evening.
Juice is one of those things that we don’t indulge in too often. Purchased fruit juice is loaded with added sugar and preservatives and for us personally, it just doesn’t seem worth it. But fruity and refreshing homemade juice… that’s another story!
Kompot originates from Eastern Europe and can be served warm or chilled. It can be made by boiling any fruit with a little sweetener but we love welcoming in warmer weather with a combination of strawberry and rhubarb.
It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere!
Although Kompot is super tasty and refreshing on its own, it is even better with a splash of booze. The addition of vodka doesn’t take away from the flavorful fruit but it does turn this fun drink into something more memorable.
We recommend adding the alcohol to each individual serving glass, then the amount can be adjusted according to preference. Additionally, then you have the option of enjoying the juice plain or serving it to kids or people who prefer a mocktail. Either way, it will quench your thirst!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Strawberries – Naturally sweet and flavorful strawberries scream spring.
- Rhubarb – Tart and the perfect pairing with strawberries.
- Sweetener – Agave syrup blends quickly into the water so there is no need to wait for sugar to dissolve.
- Water – The base of this juice but by no means is this juice flavorless.
- Vodka – An optional addition, of course, but it does make this drink fun and perfect for sipping on a warm night!
FAQ & Spiked Kompot Tips:
Can sugar or another sweetener be used instead of agave?
- Absolutely. Any sweetener can be used including maple syrup, any type of sugar, or even honey if you don’t follow a vegan lifestyle.
What if I don’t like vodka?
- Try another alcohol! Although we haven’t tried right, white rum or gin should work as well. However, if you would rather not use hard alcohol, champagne or moscato could also work.
How long does kompot last?
- Kompot will last approximately one week in the refrigerator. It keeps best when stored in a glass container.
Tip 1: Adjust the ratios to your preference.
- This drink is easily customizable. Both the sweetener and the amount of alcohol can be adjusted or simply leave out the vodka for a homemade juice perfect for kids.
Tip 2: Strain the fruit.
- We suggest you strain the fruit from this drink for this version of Kompot. Although the strawberries are delicious even after boiling, the rhubarb basically falls apart and becomes a stringy mess. Therefore, it can be enjoyed more easily if it’s strained.
It’s Time for Sipping
This Spiked Strawberry-Rhubarb Kompot will surely leave you licking your lips. It’s a refreshing drink that’s perfect for the spring and summer weather we have all been waiting for. ☀️ Cheers!
Finally, if you have made this spiked kompot recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Spiked Strawberry-Rhubarb Kompot
- Prep Time: 5 min.
- Cook Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: 15 min. (+ Cooling)
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Polish
- Diet: Vegan
A refreshing and pleasantly sweet strawberry-rhubarb cocktail incorporating the Eastern European homemade juice, kompot. A perfect beverage for sipping on a warm spring or summer night!
- 12 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Agave Nectar (Or another sweetener)
- 4 Small or 2 Large Stalks Rhubarb (Chopped)
- 1 Lb Strawberries (Stems Removed, Halved)
- 1/2 Cup Vodka (Or another alcohol of your choosing.)
- Fresh Mint Leaves (Optional Garnish)
- Add the water to a large stock pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, add the agave and fruit (carefully!). Stir to combine. Allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of boiling, cover and remove from the heat. Allow the juice to cool until it reaches room temperature.
- Strain out the fruit, if desired, and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Add your desired amount of vodka to each glass and fill the rest of the glass with kompot.
- Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy. Cheers!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Spiked Kompot Recipe, Strawberry-Rhubarb Kompot Cocktail, Strawberry-Rhubarb Homemade Juice