An Economical Plant-Based Lunch
Food is expensive, especially if you are buying prepared food or getting restaurant takeout. We learned pretty quickly how fast your monthly food budget can go if you are buying lunch out. Therefore, we decided we needed to ALWAYS bring our lunch for the benefit of our wallets and our waists.
This tofu egg salad is perfect for a brown bag lunch. We simply making it early in the week and then add it to bread or pita each morning before leaving the apartment. It travels and keeps remarkably well. In fact, it actually tastes better the second day after the seasoning and flavors have had time to incorporate.
Eggless “Egg Salad”
But the truly incredibly thing about this tofu “egg” salad is that it looks and tastes astonishingly just like real egg salad. Almost a little too much! The mustard shines and the deep flavor of the miso taste adds that extra oomph and creaminess. But don’t forget the fresh dill! It adds that irresistible freshness and aroma that only dill has.
A Healthy Meal
We have found our favorite way to serve it is with crunchy radishes to compliment the celery along with peppery mustard greens. The tofu salad is so creamy that it is nice to have fresh veggies to offer that nice crunch and texture. Then, just pile it on a delicious piece of bread or pita and you have a perfect brown bag lunch with lots of healthy protein. No eggs or cholesterol needed!
With school winding down, there is nothing better than opening my lunch bag and finding a quick and healthy lunch to eat. This tofu “egg” salad is cheap and incredibly flavorful, even after sitting in my polka dot lunch bag. After saving lots of money of brown bag lunches, I think you deserve a cute lunch bag too and then you can fill it with scrumptious homemade lunches like this tofu “egg” salad.
A healthy tofu egg salad with avocado, red pepper, celery, and a creamy cashew sauce. Top with fresh veggies to have a perfect protein-rich lunch.
Egg Salad Mix
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews (Soaked Overnight or Boiled for 10 minutes)
- 2 Tbsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
Tofu Salad Ingredients:
- 1 15 oz Package of Extra Firm Tofu (Drained, Pressed and Crumbled)
- ½ Red Bell Pepper (Diced Small)
- 1 Stalk Celery (Diced Small)
- 2–3 Green Onions (Sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Dill (Loosely Packed, Chopped)
- 1 Avocado (Diced)
Sandwich Fixings (Optional):
- Bread (Your Choice, GF if Needed)
- 1/4 Cup Alfalfa Sprouts
- Leafy Greens (We Used Mustard Greens)
- 2–3 Radishes (Sliced, Optional )
- Soak the cashews overnight or Boil them for 10 minutes and drain. Wash and prepare all fresh produce.
- Place the cashews and the rest of the egg salad mix into a blender or food process and blend until well combined. If the mixture is too thick, add a small amount of water and continue blending.
- Next, add the bell pepper, green onion, celery, dill and avocado and stir to combine.
- Fold the crumbled tofu into the cashew vegetable mixture.
- Chill (For at least an hour)
- Serve on sliced bread on top of greens and garnish with sliced radishes and alfalfa sprouts, if desired and enjoy!
Keywords: Tofu "Egg" Salad Recipe, Vegan Egg Salad, Easy Tofu Salad