I know it’s hard to believe but Fall is officially around the corner. However, it has been relatively warm this past week in New York so we decided it was the perfect time to soak up these last couple dog days of summer with a refreshing Blackberry Cucumber Gin Rickey.
A gin rickey could be described as a cousin to the gin & tonic. Instead of tonic, seltzer is used with a fresh squeeze of lime juice and garnished with mint. We decided to give this drink a little extra flair with fresh cucumber and blackberries. The cucumber gives it a light refreshing flavor and not only does the blackberry add a beautiful hue to the drink but it helps savor the delicious flavors of summer past.
The bright, tart berries combine perfectly with the cool cucumber and distinct mint. Finished off with aromatic gin and bubbly seltzer. It’s a fun drink for the senses.
Soon we will be bundled up and day dreaming about soups, stews and mulled wine. Take these last few days of summer and cherish them with a Blackberry Cucumber Gin Rickey.
- 2 Inches of English Cucumber (Cubed)
- Juice of One Lime
- 8 Blackberries
- 1 Small Bunch Fresh Mint Leaves
- 3 Oz. Gin
- Seltzer Water
- Wash and prepare all fresh produce.
- In a cocktail shaker place the gin, lime juice, blackberries, mint leaves, cubed cucumber, and gin.
- Muddle until it is well combined. Strain the juice to remove any pulp and pour it back into the cocktail shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake until cold, about 30 seconds.
- Pour into an ice filled highball glass and top with seltzer.
- Garnish with berries and mint.