I know… WHAT?! Corn Dogs with a vegetable inside- WEIRD!!! But, trust me these Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs are pure and satisfying comfort food.
What Exactly is Broccolini?
Broccolini is often thought of as baby broccoli. However, it actually is a cross-breed of broccoli and Chinese broccoli, a leafy vegetable. So broccolini produces the best of both- delicious flavor that is milder and less bitter than standard broccoli with a slight sweetness thanks to the Chinese broccoli.
But the best part of broccolini?… The long stems with a slight crunch that work perfectly for a corn dog! Plus, you also have the florets that just look amazing when dipped in the gluten free and vegan batter, especially when the Broccolini Corn Dog is bitten into.
Here are some tips for making Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs:
- Use long wooden kebab skewers and cut them down to size. We initially tried to use shorter wooden appetizer forks but they didn’t hold the broccolini adequately. Ideally, the skewer should go through the whole stem.
- A large glass works great for dipping the broccolini stalk into the batter and helps to cover it completely.
- Cook the “Corn Dogs” thoroughly until they are a very dark brown color. The florets will soak up lots of the batter and you want it to be sure it is cooked throughout. However, one benefit of flax eggs… no need to worry about salmonella!
- Eat them HOT! Don’t wait because the hotter they are, the better.
- Last, but not least, don’t forget the condiments for serving. We love to dip them in a little Sriracha.
It’s Time for… Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs!
If you are in the mood for pure summer comfort food but want to avoid eating an unhealthy hot dog, give these Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs a whirl. They have all the joy of street fair fried food without the questionable meat center. Go ahead, summer only comes once a year! Enjoy!
Oh my goodness… these Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs are pure decadent vegan comfort food and they’re also gluten free. No questionable meat necessary!
Broccolini (Leaves Removes and Ends Trimmed)
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
Batter Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Salt
Batter Wet ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Dairy Free Milk
2 Tbsp Flax Meal
6 Tbsp Warm Water
2 Tbsp Mustard (Your Choice)
Oil for Frying.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seed meal and warm water. Set aside.
- Wash the broccolini and trim into appropriate lengths.
- Add the liquid smoke to the water of a steamer. Steam the broccolini for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the flax eggs previously prepared.
- Gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Skewer each piece of broccolini with the wooden skewer. Make sure you go deep enough for it not to bend too much while you hold the end.
- Pour the oil into a heavy pot and bring it up to temperature. If you have a thermometer, 350 degrees is ideal. However, if you don’t have a thermometer, wait until the oil crackles a little when a drop of water is added.
- Dip your broccolini into the batter. Make sure to coat it completely without too much excess caught in the florets.
- Carefully place the coated broccolini into the hot oil and allow to cook until dark brown. Use tongs to turn the corn dog while it cooks. Cooking time will vary depending on the temperature of your oil.
Repeat step 9-10 for the rest of your broccolini.
- Serve immediately with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Keywords: Broccolini Vegan Corn Dogs