A “meaty” plant-based sandwich made with mushrooms roasted on the grill. This Easy Vegan Philly Cheesesteak is the ultimate meat-free comfort food.
A “Meaty” Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak
We have to be honest… this sandwich is amazing. Chances are, carnivores will feel the exact same way, too!
Mushrooms are the perfect meat replacement. They are savory and their natural texture mimics meat. Additionally, they cook remarkably fast especially when prepared on a grill.
In addition, this vegan sandwich also comes together quickly by cooking the onion, pepper, and mushroom mixture in a foil pack on the grill. Most importantly, this easy method allows the ingredients to roast deliciously in the smoky sauce.
Finally, once cooked, it can quickly be added to a toasted hoagie smothered in lots of dairy-free cashew cheese sauce and you have one incredible meal. Easy and satisfying? Yes, please!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Mushrooms – By using a combination of portobello and button mushrooms, this sandwich is packed with texture and flavor.
- Green Bell Pepper – Although some traditionalists will say no to the addition of bell pepper, it’s nice to have a veggie and it only adds to the flavor and texture of this cheesesteak.
- Red Onion – The cooked onion brings a subtle sweetness which is a nice contrast to the smoky mushrooms.
- Sauces and Seasonings – In order to replicate the flavor of meat, a mix of liquid aminos (or soy sauce), vegan Worcestershire, and liquid smoke are used. Additionally, you will need garlic and onion powder along with black pepper. You won’t believe it’s vegan with all this flavor!
- Hoagie Rolls – Fresh rolls are recommended so they are soft and fluffy on the inside, perfect for soaking up the delicious mushroom sauce.
- Vegan Cheese – A creamy cashew cheese like this recipe for Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce is ideal for this sandwich because it provides protein and it only takes a few minutes to make.
FAQ & Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Tips:
What is an authentic Philly cheesesteak?
- The key is a long, crusty roll filled with thinly sliced meat and melted cheese. However, for this plant-based alternative, the meat is switched out for mushrooms and a cashew cheese sauce replaces the traditional melted cheese but it is all layered in a satisfying roll.
What is the best cheese for cheesesteaks
- A white cheddar cheese or provolone are the most popular requested cheeses on a traditional cheesesteak. But we love this Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce on this mushroom version.
What toppings go on a vegan Philly cheesesteak sandwich?
- Typically most people opt for a topping free Philly cheesesteak. On the other hand, we do love the addition of a little tanginess from banana peppers or a little heat from hot peppers.
Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Most importantly, to replicate the traditional sandwich the mushrooms need to be thinly sliced and piled high in your cheesesteak. So good!
Be specific about the bread choice.
- The bread on this sandwich truly can make or break your meal. We recommend a hoagie roll that is crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside and it also should be fresh. Trust us, it’s worth it!
A Quick & Easy Plant-based Sandwich
We really can’t say enough about this vegan Philly cheesesteak. Except, this is one you don’t want to miss! Additionally, it also might be time for us to fire up the grill again too… 😏 Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this Philly cheesesteak sandwich, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy grilling!
Easy Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A “meaty” plant-based sandwich made with mushrooms roasted on the grill. This Easy Vegan Philly Cheesesteak is the ultimate meat-free comfort food!
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 8 oz. Button Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Sliced)
- 1 Red Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Hoagie Rolls
- 1 Cup Vegan Cheese Sauce (We recommend this Easy Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce recipe.)
- Make the cheese sauce and in a small bowl combine the marinade ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the produce as directed above.
- Place the sliced mushrooms into a deep dish and pour the marinade over them. Add the sliced onion and pepper to the dish and stir to combine.
- Working in portions. Wrap several scoops of the mushroom mixture in two layers of tin foil. Seal tightly.
- Place the pouches onto a hot grill and allow to cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pouches from the grill. Toast the rolls on the grill if desired.
- Spread a layer of the cheese sauce into each roll. Fill the rolls with the mushroom mixture and top with extra cheese sauce.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!
- Refrigerate any leftover mushroom mixture in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- If the weather isn’t cooperating for grilling, the marinated mushroom, onion, and green pepper mixture can also be sautéed in a pan for 12-15 minutes.
Keywords: Vegan Philly Cheesesteak, Mushroom Cheesesteak Recipe, Easy Vegan Sandwich
2 thoughts on “Easy Vegan Philly Cheesesteak”
This looks like the real thing, can’t wait to try this delicious recipe
Thanks so much! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!!