If you are looking for a delectable and easy vegan appetizer, look no further! These Mashed Butter Bean & Mushroom Crostini are crunchy, creamy, and taste absolutely divine. Time to throw a party!
An Easy Plant-based Appetizer
A crostini is one of those recipes that people tend to forget about. It’s almost too simple! Or if remembered at all, people go with the tried and true classic of bruschetta. But don’t stop there, the possibilities for crostini are never ending!
This easy vegan recipe requires minimal ingredients and can be made in a snap. These are great for hors d’oeuvres or they can also be served as a side. However, they are filling thanks to the protein-rich butter beans and savory mushrooms.
- To make a phenomenal crostini, start with a really great baguette. Simply slice, top with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Then, just bake for roughly 5 minutes per side.
- While the bread is toasting, sauté the sliced mushrooms with garlic and olive oil. Either fresh or dried herbs can also be added here if desired. We sometimes use thyme or basil, but it’s not absolutely necessary.
- Next, mash the rich and satisfying butter beans with a little garlic and either nut milk or oil if desired. If you use milk, it will give the beans a creamy consistency similar to mashed potatoes.
- Once the bread slices are nice and toasty, remove them from the oven and immediately top with the butter bean mash and mushroom sauté. However, if you are a garlic lover, feel free to rub the toast first with a fresh garlic clove before adding the toppings. Garlicy heaven!
Get Ready for Mashed Butter Bean & Mushroom Crostini!
This Mashed Butter Bean and Mushroom Crostini recipe is simple yet decadent. It’s an appetizer that you will find yourself coming back to again and again for its ease as well as for their incredible flavor. Happy mingling!
A simple vegan crostini appetizer made with a creamy mashed butter bean and savory mushroom mixture topped on a crunchy baguette slice- Yum!
- 1 15oz Can Butter Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 1 Pint Baby Bella Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (2 Minced)
- Vegan Parmesan (Garnish, Optional)
- Micro Greens (Garnish, Optional)
- 1 Baguette (Sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the baguette into ¼ inch to ½ inch slices on an angle.
- Arrange the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes on each side, or until bread is golden brown. Thicker slices will take longer.
- Drain and rinse the beans. In a frying pan with a little oil sauté the garlic and the beans for 3-4 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl and partially mash them using a fork. If the bean mash seems dry, you can use a splash of nut milk for added creaminess.
- In a frying pan with a small amount of oil, sauté the sliced mushrooms until the mushrooms are slightly browned. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Using the last whole piece of garlic, rub each piece of toasted bread. This will add a lot of flavor, but can be omitted if you aren’t a huge garlic lover.
- Spread the mashed beans on each piece and top with the mushroom mixture.
- Garnish with parmesan and micro greens (Optional) and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Mashed Butter Bean & Mushroom Crostini
If you are a fan of butter beans, also try this Vegetable Butter Bean Curry recipe!