This Mujadara with Spicy Vegan Yogurt is comforting, filling, and easy to prepare. A hearty meal with a deep spicy sauce that will have you heading back for seconds.
A Middle Eastern Pilaf
Rice is a staple eaten round the world and for good reason- It’s filling, economical, and versatile. For this Mujadara with Spicy Vegan Yogurt, rice is accompanied with protein rich lentils making this a complete meal.
Mujadara is a Lebanese dish that has a wide variety of versions. Most commonly it is made with cooked lentils and rice and garnished with caramelized onions. Yum, yum, yum!
Spicy Vegan Yogurt
This version is also topped with spicy and tart vegan yogurt that brings brightness to this savory meal. We used plain unsweetened almond yogurt but anything works as long as it is not sweetened.
Simply mix the yogurt with cayenne, smoked paprika, cumin, and lemon juice and zest for a spicy and robust sauce that brings this delicious plant-based meal to a whole new level!
Here are some tips for making this incredible Mujadara with Spicy Vegan Yogurt for yourself…
- First, begin by just cooking your rice for 10 minutes and then add the lentils. The extra cook time for the rice will ensure that both the lentils and rice are done simultaneously.
- Allow everyone to serve their own spicy yogurt. Start slow and add more as you go. It gives an element of creaminess to the mujadara but it can bring the heat. Also feel free to use less cayenne pepper if desired.
- Basmati rice is traditionally used but other brown or white short grain rice can also be substituted.
- Reserve most of your caramelized onions for a beautiful and flavor rich garnish.
Finally, garnish with fresh parsley for a bright finish and a pop of color. Cilantro can also be used as a substitute.
Don’t wait, it’s time to try this Mujadara with Spicy Vegan Yogurt tonight! It’s tasty, satisfying, and easy enough for a busy weeknight. Amazing flavor coming your way SOON!
A savory and satisfying Lebanese plant-based meal made with lentils, rice, and caramelized onions covered with a spicy dairy-free yogurt sauce. Easy to make and delicious to eat!
- 4 Medium Onions (Sliced Thin)
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Dried Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Dried Brown Lentils
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley (Garnish)
- ½ Cup Dairy Free Yogurt
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Lemon (Zest and Juice)
- Prepare all produce.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven coated with a little oil, cook the onions over medium/low heat, stirring frequently. Cook until golden brown, approx. 20 mins.
- While the onions cook, combine all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Once the onions have caramelized, transfer 3/4 of them to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the cumin and coriander to pot cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Pour the water into the pot and bring to boil. Add the rice and cover. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Next, add the lentil and cover. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed.
- Fluff the mixture with a fork and plate. Top with caramelized onion and the yogurt sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley and ENJOY!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. We recommend storing the spiced yogurt in a separate container.
Keywords: Mujadara with Spicy Vegan Yogurt
Finally, if you have made this mujadara recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy cooking! 🙂