Sayonara winter! Spring is officially in the air (give or take a cold front or two…) and therefore, there is no better time to make a Springtime Gnocchi with Carrot Top Pesto.
Gnocchi Made at HOME!
Homemade gnocchi used to intimidate me. I mean, can it really be that easy?… Simple answer- YES! Not only is it easy enough for ANYONE to make, but it also only requires 3 to 4 ingredients. Period!
We opted to make a spinach gnocchi for this springtime version because we wanted to make this meal extra colorful. However, the spinach can also be left out and you will simply have regular gnocchi with potato and flour. Additionally, we used gluten free flour and it works great but regular can also be used. The sky is the limit with homemade gnocchi!
A Tasty Way to Reduce Food Waste
The next step of this Springtime Gnocchi with Carrot Top Pesto is… the PESTO! The Carrot Top variety works terrific in this dish because then you can use every part of those delicious carrots.
One tip: Oil goes a long way in any pesto, so my recommendation would be to start on the light side as it’s pulsed in the food processor and add more if needed. Just slowly drizzle the oil of your choosing until the carrot tops are fully coated and all the ingredients are pulverized into tiny pieces.
Finally, the key to a colorful spring dish is the fresh veggies. Vegetables are finally starting to look amazing so we took full advantage…
- sugar peas
- alpha sprouts
Basically, anything that looks lovely… because why not?! Just lightly stream or sauté any veggies to make them easier to eat but don’t worry if they have a slight crunch, it is a nice contrast to the soft pillow-top gnocchi.
A Spring Delicacy
Now that we officially entered spring yesterday, DON’T WAIT… kick off this colorful season with a meal that is sure to please your palate and your health, springtime gnocchi with carrot top pesto. Also, go ahead and dance in the kitchen when you make this dish because warmer weather is definitely worth celebrating. YAY SPRING!
- 4 Medium Potatoes (Baked)
- 1 ½ Cups Flour (We Used Gluten Free)
- 1 Cup Frozen Spinach (Thawed & Squeezed Dry)
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Carrot Tops
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Peeled)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Carrots (Ribbons)
- Sugar Peas (Ends Trimmed)
- Asparagus (Trimmed and Chopped)
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and prepare all of the fresh produce as per directions above.
- Using a fork, poke hole into the washed potatoes in several places surrounding the whole potato. Place them into the oven, directly onto the rack for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor add the ingredients for the pesto, excluding the oil. While you blend the pesto slowly drizzle the oil into the pesto, until the desired consistence is obtained. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes have baked and cooled, scoop the potato out of the skin into a large bowl. Add the flour, dry spinach and oil to the bowl. Using a spoon, mix thoroughly until well combined.
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a thin rope. Cut the dough into one inch pieces or slightly smaller.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Shape the gnocchi by pressing them with a fork. Dust the gnocchi with extra flour to prevent them from sticking.
- Steam the toppings. Using a steamer cook the prepared toppings for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the shaped gnocchi into the boiling water until they float. Remove immediately and portion into dishes.
- Top with pesto and steamed vegetables, along with the alfalfa sprouts.
- Enjoy spring!