Teff! One of the most nutritious grains that you can find and it shines in this Teff Polenta with Mixed Mushrooms. So healthy and so delicious!
This is what teff provides with one 1/2 cup serving…
- 14 grams of protein
- 8 grams dietary fiber
- 40% iron
- 50% magnesium
- 20% calcium, Vitamin B6, & Zinc
*Percentages Daily Value are based on a 2,000 calorie diet but your needs may higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Teff truly is a nutrition powerhouse! If you have yet to try this grain, THIS is your chance! We love THIS high quality brand.
Mixed mushrooms were made for this teff polenta. We used a combination of crimini and oyster but any mushrooms will work.
Cool fall nights were made for this comforting Teff Polenta with Mixed Mushrooms. Deliciousness coming your way in under 30 minutes in 3…2…1…
- 3 Cups Mixed Mushrooms Crimini and Oyster (Chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 tbsp Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Sage (Chopped)
- 1 Cup Whole Grain Teff (or Corn Polenta Can be Substituted)
- 3½ Cups Veggie Stock
- ½ tsp Each Salt and Pepper
- ¼ Cup Nutrional Yeast
- Prepare all fresh produce as directed above.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 3 cups of the veggie stock to a boil.
- Stir in the teff and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and the teff is tender about 18-20 minutes (corn polenta only needs 2-3 minutes to cook so plan accordingly)
- While the teff is cooking, add 1 tsp of oil to a frying pan. Add the mushrooms, garlic and sauté over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- When the mushrooms begin to brown (about 5-6 mins) add the rest of the veggie stock, fresh herbs and miso paste. Stir to combine.
- Cover the mushrooms immediately and turn the heat to low. This will simmer the stock slightly but does not allow it to evaporate creating a sauce.
- Remove polenta from the heat once all the veggie stock has been absorbed. Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Plate the polenta immediately and top with the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with extra nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan. if desired.
The teff will begin to solidify and harden as it cools just like regular polenta. We always like it best served immediately.
This post has an affiliate link, if you decide to click on it and purchase from it, we will receive a small portion of the sale. Thank you so much for your support in helping to keep the recipes coming.