This decadent vegan porcini mushroom risotto is sure to impress. Made with fresh or dried porcini mushrooms and plenty of vegan parmesan cheese, it’s the best homemade risotto that no one will ever guess is dairy-free!
Creamy & Dreamy
Risotto is a classic northern Italian rice dish where the rice is cooked with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. For this meat-free version, the rice is cooked in vegetable broth and lots of salty vegan parmesan cheese.
By using vegetable broth or stock, this risotto is packed with vitamins and minerals with a deep and balanced flavor and yes, it’s also deliciously rich and creamy!
Ingredient Spotlight: Porcini Mushrooms
Porcini mushrooms are a delicacy in the culinary world. They grow naturally in pine forests at the base of the trees and are cultivated in either the fall or spring season.
However, porcini mushrooms can either be enjoyed fresh in season or year round by using dried. Fresh porcini mushrooms are terrific sautéed, braised, fried, or grilled and are often prepared simply to highlight their texture and flavor.
Alternatively, dried porcini mushrooms are a lovely addition to soups and recipes that use broth where they can be chopped and added to dishes like this creamy vegan risotto recipe.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Porcini Mushrooms – Fresh or dried porcini mushroom provide an air of elegance to this creamy vegan risotto.
- Arborio Rice – This short grain rice is packed with starch and it cooks up to a creamy texture in this dish.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese – Salty vegan Parmesan adds amazing flavor and richness to this risotto.
- Vegetable Broth – Flavor packed veggie broth is perfect for slowly cooking the rice.
- White Wine – White wine is used to deglaze the pan and provides acidity.
- Fresh Thyme – This fresh herb adds a floral aroma that penetrates the sautéed mushrooms for irresistible flavor.
FAQ & Vegan Porcini Mushroom Risotto Tips:
Do I have to use arborio rice for risotto?
- No, not necessarily. Although traditionally arborio rice is used because it produces its famously creamy texture, you can actually make it with any rice or whole grain.
Can I use dried porcini mushrooms instead of fresh?
- Absolutely. Simply rehydrate the mushrooms in warm water and continue with the recipe as directed.
Adjust the amount of Mushrooms, as needed.
- Porcini mushrooms are a delicacy that can be rather expensive. Therefore, you can also use a combination of button or baby bella mushrooms in addition to porcini mushrooms for a more economical meal.
Use plenty of vegan parmesan cheese
- We recommend adding extra cheese when serving for additional creaminess.
Gourmet Fare at Home!
There is no need to eat an expensive dinner out when you can make your own delicious Italian food at home. This extra creamy porcini mushroom risotto is the perfect meal for a fancy night in. Cheers!
We love seeing when you share our recipes! Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
A cheesy and creamy dairy-free risotto that is sure to impress. This homemade vegan porcini mushroom risotto can be made with either dried or fresh porcini mushrooms for a favorite meal year round.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 7 oz. Fresh Porcini Mushrooms (Sliced Thin)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves (More for Garnish)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 1 1/2 Cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth (Warm)
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan (Grated)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme (Garnish, stems removed)
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Parmesan (Garnish, grated)
- Prepare the ingredients as directed above. While you are prepping, place the vegetable stock into a sauce pan and heat over low heat.
- In a deep frying pan over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and add the sliced mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are browned. Approx 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Next add the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil to the pan alone with the diced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is fragrant. Approx 2 minutes.
- Now add the uncooked rice to the pan. Stir the rice frequently, incorporating it into the onions and allowing it to cook slightly approx 1 minute.
- Pour the wine into the pan to deglaze the pan and to start cooking the rice, stirring constantly.
- Now it is time to start adding your warmed vegetable broth to the rice. Using only 1 cup at a time add the broth to the rice. Continue to stir constantly until the cup of broth is almost completely absorbed. At this point add another cup of broth and repeat the process until all of your broth is gone. At the end of adding your broth the rice should be tender and in a velvety sauce.
- Add your cooked mushrooms into the rice and stir to combine.
- Next, add 2 Tbsp of vegan butter to the mixture as well as ¼ cup of grated vegan parmesan cheese. Stir until the butter and cheese have melted and plate and garnish with more thyme leaves and vegan Parmesan. Serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- If you are using dried porcini mushrooms, please refer to the video included.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: The Best Vegan Porcini Mushroom Risotto, Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto, Fresh Porcini Mushroom Risotto Recipe