Shredded king trumpet mushrooms are coated in a smoky marinade and then fried until crispy for an irresistible plant-based version of a classic Mexican recipe. Add these Vegan Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas to tacos, nachos, lettuce cups, and so much more.
Air Fried King Trumpet Mushrooms
This classic Mexican dish is now a true meatless makeover. King trumpet mushrooms are the perfect replacement for the traditional pork because they are shredded and have a delicious meaty texture that looks and tastes like real carnitas.
However, the best part is that this meal also happens to be super healthy. By using an air fryer to cook the mushrooms, they become extra crispy and you only need to use one tablespoon of oil. This vegan carnitas recipe is the real deal!
Watch: How to Make Vegan Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- King Trumpet Mushrooms – Shredded king trumpet mushrooms replicate the traditional meat that is used in a classic carnitas recipe and provide delicious texture.
- Onion – Slices of onion add additional flavor and help to turn this dish into a true entree.
- Orange Juice – This adds a little sweetness to the marinade.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce – The worcestershire provides deep flavor and necessary salt.
- Lime – The juice of ½ a lime gives the marinade a tangy kick.
- Dry Spices – A mixture of cumin, coriander, black pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder are included in the mushroom marinade for a deep robust flavor.
FAQ & Vegan Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas Tips:
Can these mushrooms be baked instead
- Absolutely. Although we love the extra crispiness provided by air frying them, baking them on a sheet pan for approximately 25-30 minutes at 425℉ works too.
Is there a possible substitute for the king trumpet mushrooms?
- Yep. Another alternative is using oyster, shiitake, or portobello mushrooms instead.
Tip: Make them spicy!
- If you love the heat, we recommend adding ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the marinade.
Tip: Keep an eye on them while they cook.
- While the mushrooms are cooking in the air fryer, be sure to check them periodically because they will cook rather quickly due to their small size. But don’t worry if they get a little extra crispy- they will still be delicious!
A Healthy Mexican Plant-Based Entree
There is no need for meat when you can have a fabulous “meaty” Mexican entree. These mushroom carnitas will please any palate including the meat eaters in your life. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this carnitas recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Vegan Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Time to Marinate: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 15 min.
- Total Time: 35 min.
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Shredded king trumpet mushrooms replace the meat for a twist on a classic Mexican recipe. These Vegan Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas will delight plant-eaters and meat-eaters alike!
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- 8 oz. King Trumpet Mushrooms (Shredded)
- 1 Small Red Onion (Sliced Thin)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, add all of the dry spices along with the orange juice and with the Worcestershire sauce and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Using a fork, shred the mushrooms using long strokes lengthwise. You can also use your fingers to pull the mushrooms into strands.
- Cut the onion in half from stem to root and peel. Lay the onion onto the cut side and thinly slice the onion from stem to root. Separate the onion slices into strands.
- Place the mushrooms and onions into the bowl and stir to coat everything evenly with the marinade. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Drizzle the oil into the air fryer and preheat to 400°F.
- Add the marinated mushrooms and onions to the hot air fryer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes. Check the air fryer occasionally to stir the mushrooms and check for doneness.
- Serve in tacos, nachos or lettuce wraps (as pictured). Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Carnitas, Air Fryer Mushroom Carnitas, Air Fryer King Trumpet Mushrooms
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!