A satisfying cornmeal cake filled with “meaty” mushrooms, vegan mozzarella cheese, and guacamole. These Vegan Mixed Mushroom Arepas are nutritious and are also easy enough for a weeknight meal.
Easy Homemade Arepas
Although arepas might initially seem complicated, they are actually incredibly easy to make. In fact, they have been enjoyed for centuries in South American countries including Venezuela, Colombia, and Panama.
Pre-cooked cornmeal, known as masarepa, is mixed with water and a little salt to form a small cake that is then pan-fried.
Finally, the cooked cakes are cut and filled with a hearty mixture of mushrooms, tangy dairy-free mozzarella, and creamy guacamole for the ultimate meat-free meal.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- White Cornmeal – Hearty and versatile, cornmeal is formed into a dough for these amazing cakes.
- Mushrooms – A mixture of different mushrooms adds meaty texture to this arepa filling.
- Garlic – Pungent garlic infuses the mushrooms with unforgettable flavor.
- Taco Seasoning – Spicy and smoky taco seasoning fills your senses with each bite.
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese – Tangy and salty vegan mozzarella cheese is the perfect combination with the savory mushrooms.
- Guacamole – creamy and bright guacamole keeps you coming back bite after bite.
FAQ & Mixed Mushroom Arepa Tips:
Is this recipe gluten-free?
- Yep! The grilled arepa cakes are made from cornmeal so they are safe for people with celiac disease or those who have a gluten intolerance.
Can you use yellow cornmeal instead of white?
- Yes. However, it must be pre-cooked corn meal known as masarepa. So just be sure to check the package and make sure it is labeled as such. We like to use the brand P.A.N. which is shown down below.
Add the water slowly to the cornmeal
- This will allow you to monitor when the dough is the correct consistency. We have found that some brands can even vary on the amounts required from what the package recommends so by adding the water slowly, it gives you more control.
Mix It Up
- Try using other mushroom varieties for this recipe or even crumbled tofu or tempeh for a protein-rich arepa.
Get ready for a phenomenal meatless arepa recipe that everyone is sure to love. This is one flavor-packed meal that is perfect even for a busy night. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made these mixed mushroom arepas, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
A satisfying cornmeal cake filled with “meaty” mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and guacamole. These Vegan Mixed Mushroom Arepas are nutritious and easy!
- 2 Cups White Corn Meal
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For Cooking)
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 8 oz. Oyster Mushrooms (Chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (Try this Easy No Salt Taco Seasoning recipe)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For Cooking)
- 4 oz. Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 oz. Guacamole (Try this recipe for Spicy Chunky Homemade Guacamole)
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, salt and water together to form a dough. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the mushrooms and garlic as per the directions above.
- In a deep skillet over medium/high heat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil followed by the sliced mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are soft and beginning to brown. Approx 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 1 minute stirring frequently to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the taco seasoning to the mushroom mixture and cook for a final 2 minutes, continuing to stir. Cover and set aside.
- Form the dough into small patties that are approximately 3-4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- In a skillet or griddle add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and place over medium/high heat. In batches of 3-4, cook the arepas until they are browned on both sides. Approx. 5 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining cornmeal cakes.
- Using a serrated knife cut each arepa ¾ of the way through making a pouch. Add a slice of vegan cheese into the pocket followed by the spoonful of mushroom mixture and guacamole. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Mixed Mushroom Arepas, Mushroom Arepa Recipe, Homemade Arepas