A scrumptious dairy-free bagel spread featuring a springtime favorite- ramps! This Vegan Ramp Cream Cheese is made with a combination of blended cashews and tofu for a protein rich recipe perfect for starting the day off right.
Ramps: A Springtime Favorite
Wild ramps are a Spring delicacy that are usually available in late April through early June. Every year we are on the lookout for this fun ingredient that truly screams that warm weather has finally arrived! 🌱
Additionally, although ramps resemble a spring onion on the base, they have broader leaves at the top and have a mild onion and garlicky flavor that can be enjoyed either raw or cooked. For this recipe, the ramps are left raw for a bright but mild peppery flavor.
For this vegan “cheese” spread, the ramp leaves are blended with the cashews and tofu which produces a fun and festive green colored bagel schmear. However, the base of the ramps are diced finely and stirred into the blended mixture for added texture with a flavorful bite.
A Healthy Dairy Free Cream Cheese
Unlike traditional cream cheese, this vegan variety features a high-protein combination of tofu and blended cashews for a healthy and satisfying spread. Then, nutritional yeast and miso paste are included to produce a salty and cheesy flavor that truly mimics the real thing.
For this Spring version, the ramp leaves are blended with the other ingredients to create a fun and festive green colored bagel schmear. However, the base of the ramps are diced finely and stirred into the blended mixture for added texture with a flavorful bite. Yum and YUMMMM!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Cashews – Protein rich cashews blended into a silky smooth cream which is the perfect base for a “cheese.”
- Tofu – Tofu brings additional protein but also necessary moisture.
- Miso Paste – Naturally salty, miso paste adds umami flavor similar to cheese.
- Nutritional Yeast – The staple ingredient that provides rich cheesy flavor.
- Spices/Seasonings – Garlic, black pepper and salt boost the savory flavors of this spread.
- Wild Ramps – Seasonal ramps are the star of this cream cheese with their subtle onion and garlic flavor. Best of all you use the whole plant, so no waste!!
FAQ & Vegan Ramp Cream Cheese Tips:
Can I leave out the miso paste?
- Yes. You can leave out this ingredient if desired but we will warn you, it does add something extra to this vegan cream cheese- salty umami flavor. Additionally, if you do omit this ingredient, we recommend adding more salt to compensate.
What can I use as a substitute for the ramps when they aren’t in season?
- We love to make this cream cheese year round by replacing the ramps with scallions, chives, or diced jalapeños for a similar peppery/spicy spread. Alternatively, you can leave out the ramps altogether for a plain vegan cream cheese that still has amazing umami flavor.
Use either the leaves, stem, or both!
- Ramps are often sold with just the leaves for a more sustainable farming practice or you can find the leaves with the stem and roots attached as well. All parts of the ramp are edible, so whatever part you can get your hands on, use it for this vegan cream cheese!
Don’t settle for store-bought a cream cheese when you can easily make your own healthy and delightful recipe at home. Yay Spring! 🌱
We’d Love Your Feedback
We love seeing when you share our recipes! Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this ramp cream cheese recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos:
A dairy-free bagel spread featuring a springtime favorite- ramps! This Vegan Ramp Cream Cheese is healthy and protein-packed.
- Soak the raw cashews overnight or boil them for 10 minutes and drain. Cut the roots off the ramps and clean them well. Finely chop the ramps, separating the leafy greens from the white stems.
- In a food processor, add the cashews, tofu, miso paste, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper and the chopped greens of the ramps.
- Blend on high for approx. 1 minutes until the cream cheese is very smooth and the greens are no longer visible. You will have to scrape the sides down once or twice.
- Scoop the cream cheese into a medium bowl and stir in the chopped ramp ends using a spoon.
- Chill or serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Ramp Cream Cheese, Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe, Wild Ramps, Vegan Ramp Recipe