A creamy and hearty Italian soup packed with dairy free tortellini pasta and cannellini beans. This easy to make vegan tortellini pasta e fagioli is a wholesome meal everyone will love.
Pasta e Fagioli is a classic Italian soup whose name literally translates into “pasta and beans.” Typically it is made with ditalini noodles; however, we decided it needed to be kicked up a notch or two… enter tortellini!
The combination of creamy dairy free cheese inside a coat of pasta is a match made in heaven for this bean soup. Not only does it add protein (thanks to the “cheese” made from almonds) but it also turns a bowl of soup into a hearty meal. Then, serve it alongside some crusty bread for dipping and you have one amazing plant-based dinner. Yay, soup super!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Vegan Tortellini – Little packages of comfort. This pasta screams home. We recommend the brand Kite Hill. 😍
- Cannellini Beans – Creamy and healthy, these white kidney beans are perfect for any soup.
- Carrot – Carrots give this soup a pop of color as will as added nutrients.
- Celery – The celery lends depth of flavor to this hearty soup.
- Onion & Garlic – The amazing aroma of onion and garlic is evident until the finished product.
- Crushed Tomatoes – Canned crushed tomatoes add acidity that compliments the herbs and spices.
- Vegetable Stock – The addition of vegetable stock turns it into a wonderful soup.
- Vegan Parmesan – Plant-based parmesan cheese (we love the brand Violife) gives this soup necessary salt as well as a slight creaminess.
- Herbs & Spices – A hit to the nose and the stomach, this combination is essential to the comforting power of this soup.
- Olive Oil – The additional flavor and necessary fat helps to meld all of the ingredients together.
FAQ & Tortellini Pasta e Fagioli Tips:
How do you pronounce pasta e fagioli?
- In the United States this soup is pronounced pasta fasul (fazool) which is derived from its Neapolitan name. However, you could also just call it pasta and bean soup!
What to serve with tortellini soup?
- Crusty bread is perfect for dipping in this soup. However, we would also suggest serving it alongside a light and healthy salad for one nutritious meal.
- No need to boil the tortellini pasta separately! Simply allow the tortellini to cook while simmering in the soup.
Mix It Up.
- If you can’t find vegan tortellini, ravioli can also be used. We like the brand Kite Hill for both. However, any pasta noodle will work for a classic pasta e fagioli recipe.
A Cozy Meal
There is nothing better on a cold night than a steaming hot bowl of soup. This simple pasta and bean soup is made with humble ingredients that will leave you full, happy, and warm. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this soup, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Vegan Tortellini Pasta e Fagioli
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cook Time: 30 min.
- Total Time: 45 min.
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Sauté, Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
A comforting Italian soup with a pasta twist. This simple vegan tortellini pasta e fagioli is rich, hearty, and absolutely delicious.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 1 Carrot (Peeled and Diced Small)
- 2 Stalks Celery (Diced Small)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock.
- 3 oz Vegan Parmesan (we used Violife, more for garnish)
- 2 15 oz Cans Cannellini Beans Drained and Rinsed)
- 9 oz vegan tortellini (Kitehill)
- Fresh Parsley (Chopped,Garnish)
- Prepare all of the produce as directed above.
- In a stock pot add the oil, onion, carrot and celery. Over medium heat, sauté for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Onions will become fragrant and the celery will start to become translucent.
- Next add the garlic and dry spices, stir to combine. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, veggie stock and parmesan cheese. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly add the beans and tortellini. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes longer or until the tortellini have cooked completely.
- Serve immediately in bowls and garnish with more parmesan and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Leftover soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Tortellini Soup Recipe, Vegan Tortellini Pasta e Fagioli, Dairy Free Pasta e Fagioli Recipe