A seasonal sandwich that’s juicy, savory, and served on garlicky toasted bread. This castelvetrano tapenade & tomato sandwich features beautiful heirloom tomatoes, vegan feta cheese, and a homemade green olive spread.
A Simple & Delicious Summer Sandwich
Sometimes the best things in life are also the simplest. Tomato sandwiches are a late summer staple that is quick to prepare and also takes advantage of the abundance of ripe, juicy tomatoes available.
Traditionally, tomato sandwiches include mayonnaise; however, for this version we used vegan feta cheese for a tangy addition that compliments the sweet tomato. Additionally, olive tapenade supplies necessary oil and irresistible saltiness.
Homemade Vegan Castelvetrano Olive Tapenade
Although any olives can be used for this tapenade, we highly recommend castelvetrano olives. These green olives are mild and firm and lend themselves to a chunky and “meaty” spread. Furthermore, even if you aren’t the biggest fan of olives, chances are you will enjoy these.
In addition to using this tapenade for sandwiches, it can also be used as a topping for a salad, served on a baguette, or as part of a charcuterie board. Most importantly, it keeps well due to the olive oil and lemon juice so chances are, you won’t have any difficulty using up any leftovers.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Castelvetrano Olives – Firm and meaty, these olives are a perfect base for the tapenade.
- Capers – Small but mighty, capers pack a punch of flavor for this spread.
- Garlic – Need depth of flavor? Just add garlic.
- Parsley – Fragrant parsley adds freshness to this complex sandwich addition.
- Lemon Juice – Bright and tangy, lemon juice livens up the deep olive flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Amazing olive oil acts as the glue that binds all of the tapenade ingredients together.
- Tomato – Tender and juicy tomato is the largest ingredient in the sandwich but does not overpower.
- Vegan Feta Cheese – Feta gives this stack creaminess.
- Crusty Country Bread – Toasty but soft this bread is a great vehicle for these amazing ingredients and it also has a little garlicky surprise.
FAQ & Castelvetrano Tapenade & Tomato Sandwich Tips:
Is there a substitute for the vegan feta cheese?
- Yep. You can also use another vegan cheese in its place or swap it out for vegan mayonnaise. Additionally, you can also leave it out entirely and the sandwich will still be scrumptious.
What is the best bread to use for this sandwich?
- Personally, we like to use whole wheat sourdough bread but any crusty bread will work, even a baguette.
- Make the olive tapenade a day or two in advance to cut down on the preparation time. If so, this sandwich will take less than 5 minutes to prepare.
- We recommend cutting your tomato into extra thick slices. The tomato has a mild flavor compared to the olive tapenade and feta and using more tomato ensures a more balanced sandwich.
A Seasonal Classic
You will not regret making this sandwich but we do have one last bit of advice- serve it with plenty of napkins. Although this sandwich might be a little messy, it’s so worth it! Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this tomato sandwich, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Castelvetrano Tapenade & Tomato Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 5 min.
- Total Time: 15 min.
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Toast
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A seasonal vegan sandwich that’s juicy and savory. This Castelvetrano Tapenade & Tomato Sandwich with feta is easy to make and screams summer.
Castelvetrano Olive Tapenade:
- 2.5 Cups Castelvetrano Olives (Drained and Pitted)
- 2 Tbsp Capers (Drained)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Peeled)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 large Heirloom Tomato (Sliced Thick)
- 1 oz. Vegan Feta (We used the brand Violife)
- 4 Slices Crusty Country Bread
- In a food processor, place the pitted olives, capers, 2 cloves garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil. Pulse the processor until desired consistency is obtained. We like ours a little chunky. Set aside.
- Using a broiler or a toaster, toast the bread.
- Next, use the last clove of garlic to rub on to the inside surface of the toasted bread.
- Place the feta and tomato onto one of the slices of garlic rubbed toasted bread. Spoon approximately 1-2 Tbsp of the tapenade onto the tomato. Top with the last slice of bread garlic side down and enjoy immediately.
- You will have extra Castelvetrano Olive Tapenade leftover. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Tomato Sandwich Recipe, Castelvetrano Tapenade & Tomato Sandwich, Easy Summer Sandwich
Finally, if you are still looking for summer lunch ideas, you may enjoy these recipes…
- Vegan Caprese Tartine: An open-faced sandwich featuring homemade fresh mozzarella and more fresh tomatoes.
- Vegan Za’atar Chickpea Wraps: Toasted chickpeas seasoned with herby za’atar and pilled into a wrap packed with fresh vegetables and hummus.
- Vegan Ricotta Toast with Roasted Cherries: A delicious combination of savory homemade ricotta and sweet bing cherries all on toasted bread.
2 thoughts on “Castelvetrano Tapenade & Tomato Sandwich”
Thanks For Sharing this Amazing Recipe. My Family Loved It. I will be sharing this Recipe with my Friends. Hope They will like it.
So glad you liked it! 😊