An easy tofu ricotta smeared on toasted ciabatta bread and topped with sweet cherries and fresh basil. This easy Vegan Ricotta Toast with Roasted Cherries is sweet, savory, and perfect for either a fancy seasonal plant-based entrée or appetizer!
Creamy Dairy-free Tofu Ricotta Cheese
Yum, yum, yum… There is nothing better than luscious vegan cheese. For this recipe we used Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese. It also comes together with basic ingredients in only a few minutes.
However, store-bought ricotta can also be used for this recipe. You will need approximately a cup of ricotta. Therefore, if you make your own you will have extra to use for other fun recipes such as Daikon Mushroom “Ravioli” or Vegan Herbed Ricotta Pizza or just use it for an easy weeknight pasta.
Sweet Roasted Cherries
During the summer fresh cherries are a picnic staple. However, this seasonal favorite can be enjoyed roasted rather than just raw.
Roasting the sweet cherries extracts the juice while concentrating the flavors and natural fruit sugars. They can be enjoyed over ice cream, baked goods, or best yet as a topping for this vegan ricotta toast!
What You Will Need:
- Bread – We love ciabatta bread for this toast recipe because it gets deliciously crispy on the edges but stays tender in the middle. However, any bread can be used. If you plan to serve it as an appetizer, use a baguette instead.
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese – A creamy dairy-free cheese that contrasts with the crunchy bread is heaven. Try this Simple Vegan Ricotta Cheese recipe or use store-bought.
- Fresh Cherries – These seasonal beauties are roasted to bring out their sweet juice. Summer doesn’t get any better than this!
- Maple Syrup – Mixed with the cherries this sweetener adds additional rich caramelly flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This oil is a source of antioxidants and healthy fats. You don’t need much but it will help your cherries to burst with roasted goodness.
- Salt – Just a pinch brings out the flavor of the cherries and enhances their sweetness.
- Fresh Basil – The combination of sweet and savory toast needs a fragrant herb. Basil delivers a sweet aroma with a peppery taste that balances the sweetness of the cherries.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can another fruit be used in place of the cherries?
- Yes. The cherries can be replaced with any other fruit. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or peaches are all great alternatives if cherries aren’t available. You can also use frozen fruit if needed.
Can this be made gluten-free?
- Yes. Just be sure to purchase gluten-free bread or make your own.
Do you have to use parchment paper when roasting the cherries?
- No. If you don’t have parchment, you can lightly oil a sheet pan as well. However, It may be a little more work during clean-up. We also love to use reusable parchment paper so it is more environmentally friendly.
Can you serve this as an appetizer rather than an entrée?
- This recipe makes for a gorgeous and decadent plant-based appetizer. Simply use a baguette rather than a larger loaf of bread. It will be a crostini rather than toast which is similar to a bruschetta.
Recommended Cooking Tips:
Use a cherry pitter.
- When you are removing the pits from the cherries, nothing is easier and faster than a cherry pitter. But be forewarned, it will probably create quite a mess. Cherry juice tends to fly during this step. You can also use a knife but it will take much longer.
Leave some of cherries whole and cut some in half.
- The cherries will roast well either way, but it tends to look much more elegant if you use a combination of both.
Turn the cherries halfway through roasting.
- This will help to evenly cook them throughout, just use a spatula and move them around a little.
Vegan Ricotta Toast with Roasted Cherries!
It’s time to take advantage of the delicious summer produce now available. This vegan ricotta toast with roasted cherries allows this juicy fruit to explode with flavor in your mouth. Add some creamy rich ricotta and crunchy bread and you have a winning combination. Get ready for deliciousness in 3…2…1…!
A seasonal specialty that everyone will love! Toasted ciabatta bread smothered with vegan tofu ricotta cheese and topped with sweet maple roasted cherries and fresh basil. Perfect for either a decadent entrée or appetizer.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pits from the cherries and cut most of them in half, but leave some whole, if desired.
- Place the cherries on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and add the maple syrup, olive oil, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bake the cherries for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While the cherries bake, make the vegan ricotta if using homemade.
- When the cherries are finished, set them aside to cool while you toast the bread. Use a toaster or the broiler on your oven to toast the bread.
- Spread the vegan ricotta into each slice of bread and top with the cherry mixture.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil onto each piece and serve immediately while warm.
- Leftover roasted cherries and vegan ricotta cheese can be refrigerated separately in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
- Any leftover cherries/juice can also be served over ice cream or with baked goods.
- Leftover vegan ricotta cheese can also be used for pizza, pasta, or lasagna.
Keywords: Vegan Ricotta Toast with Roasted Cherries
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!